The police chief said he emotionally told Perez's wife that the sergeant died doing what he did best.
He said although the Houston Police Department has 6,500 employees, he knew Sgt. Perez. Perez was assigned to the city's traffic enforcement division, but he was unable to find a path to the station.
It wasn't until Monday, when he didn't show up for roll call, that his bone-tired colleagues realized he was missing.More news: Peruvian Olympic runner Torrence found dead
"He tried to do his best to be in position to serve the people of Houston, and he died in trying", Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said.
His wife said she urged him to not report to work that morning, but he was determined to help victims and said "I've got work to do", before he left his home for the final time. Acevedo said the floodwaters remained too treacherous to attempt a recovery, but that officers kept watch over the area.More news: Dams and levee overflow as Houston suffers under Storm Harvey deluge
A dive team recovered his remains from an underpass Tuesday.
"He was trying different routes, and took a wrong turn", one high-ranking official told the Chronicle.
Local shelters like the George R. Brown Convention Center are struggling to provide shelter to every person that's been affected by the storm. President Trump on Hurricane Harvey: "There's never been anything so historic in terms of damage" https://t.co/naozzUrCBZ - CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) August 29, 2017 Earlier in the day at a firehouse near Corpus Christi, the President made the same public vow of support for Texas. It has since been downgraded to a tropical storm, and continues to pummel Texas and Louisiana with record-breaking rains.More news: NJ, NY Republicans Attack TX Colleagues for 'Hypocrisy'
- Pope to Visit Myanmar, Bangladesh Amid Rohingya Crisis
- GOP senator wants details on border wall construction
- President Trump hints at NAFTA withdrawal, says Mexico will pay for wall
- Trump calls Chelsea Manning 'he' in attack on transgender soldier
- Veteran filmmaker Tobe Hooper, pioneer of horror films, passes away at 74
- Can Roger Federer be stopped at the 2017 US Open?
- Destiny 2 PC Settings Detailed, Features 4K HDR, 60FPS
- Cilic viewing Murray's absence as a 'great opportunity' to win US Open
- Disappointed you missed totality? Oklahomans can catch the next eclipse in 2024
- Joel Osteen responds to accusations of closing church doors to Harvey evacuees