Social media users have been sharing video and photos depicting the flooding surrounding the church. Despite avoiding damage during #Hurricane Harvey, Osteen has refused to open the doors [VIDEO] of his mega-church to thousands who are in need in the area.
US Coast Guard Lt. Mike Hart said the coast guard is receiving up to 1,000 calls per hour from people needing to be rescued.
Is this true? "Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church Closes Doors to Displaced Harvey Victims".More news: President Trump hints at NAFTA withdrawal, says Mexico will pay for wall
The problem, as critics have been quick to point out, is that Osteen's church initially went on Facebook and gave the impression that it was unable to assist victims due to the flooding. Speaking to The New York Post, Iloff continues to imply that the poor and unwashed would be better off relying on government assistance, saying the George R. Brown Convention Center "has everything inside there".
It is not clear whether Osteen evacuated ahead of the storm. At least nine people have died to date as a result of the storm. "This is insane. People are saying we've locked the church". As of Tuesday, more than 17,000 people have sought refuge from the storm, according to the American Red Cross.More news: Israel settlements big hurdle to two-state solution
- Google launches resource on the benefits of using certified Android devices
- Disappointed you missed totality? Oklahomans can catch the next eclipse in 2024
- Houston Astros owner donates $4million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
- Trump's Transgender Military Ban: 5 Things You Need to Know
- India, China to pull back troops from border confrontation
- Indian guru sentenced to 20 years in prison
- Officials after levee breaches in Texas: 'Get out now!'
- Veteran filmmaker Tobe Hooper, pioneer of horror films, passes away at 74
- NJ, NY Republicans Attack TX Colleagues for 'Hypocrisy'
- Dams and levee overflow as Houston suffers under Storm Harvey deluge