"The entire NY family grieves for Petty Officer 2nd Class Ingram and the nine other sailors on the USS John McCain who lost their lives serving our country", Cuomo said in a statement. Prior to joining the military, he was an Eagle Scout for Troop 43, where Chaplain Tim Lee described him as a leader whose legacy in the scouts endured after he left town.
"On behalf of all agencies involved in this search and rescue operation, MPA expresses our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the deceased US Navy crew".More news: Houston Astros owner donates $4million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
The Navy announced last week that close to a dozen officers will be disciplined for the collision involving the Fitzgerald, which occurred last month.
Adm. Scott Swift, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, dismissed Aucoin on these grounds, and Rear Adm. Phil Sawyer, who has been promoted to Vice Adm., will take over the responsibilities with immediate effect, local media reported. "I will do everything I can to ensure this incident is thoroughly investigated and the readiness and safety of our troops remains our top priority".
The three-star admiral's removal was a rare dismissal of a high-ranking officer.
However, the Pacific - where the USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant ship - is "one of the most unsafe operating environments in the world".More news: Indian guru sentenced to 20 years in prison
The USS John S. McCain is an Arleigh-Burke Class guided-missile destroyer based in Yokosuka, Japan.
The McCain is named for the father and grandfather of Sen.
The waterway is one of the world's most congested shipping lanes.
Kimball, who lives in Georgia, said that Hoagland has been serving on the USS John McCain for almost a year.More news: Officials after levee breaches in Texas: 'Get out now!'
- India, China to pull back troops from border confrontation
- GOP senator wants details on border wall construction
- Manchester City Offer Star Player As Part Of Alexis Sanchez Deal
- Houston Airport Service Updates
- Apple iPhone 8 tipped to launch on September 12
- Can Roger Federer be stopped at the 2017 US Open?
- Trump calls Chelsea Manning 'he' in attack on transgender soldier
- Trump's Transgender Military Ban: 5 Things You Need to Know
- President Trump hints at NAFTA withdrawal, says Mexico will pay for wall
- NJ, NY Republicans Attack TX Colleagues for 'Hypocrisy'