Obama's administration allowed transgenders to serve openly in the forces in 2016.
After months of speculation, the White House is poised to brief the Pentagon on the protocol for banning trans military servicemembers and those who want to enlist reports The Wall Street Journal. He said that until Mattis made his decision that no action may be taken against them. "This unprecedented policy amounts to a purge of qualified, contributing troops, and will serve only to undermine unit cohesion and weaken military readiness", Levi said. It also leaves decision of whether to remove current troops to Mattis.More news: Gilead Seeks Diversification Into Immuno-oncology Space With $11.9 Billion Kite Buy
The memo, released by the White House on Friday, laid out in more detail a ban on transgender individuals serving in the USA armed forces that Trump announced via Twitter last month.
Trump passed over authority for already enlisted transgender soldiers to defence secretary, Jim Mattis. It also halts military expenses on sexual reassignment surgery, except for those who have already begun medical procedures, and implements criteria for whether transgender individuals already in the military should be allowed to continue to serve. Mattis must submit a plan by February 21 that includes information on how the Armed Forces will address those existing service members.
The Pentagon had little to say on the subject Friday.
Defense officials and the White House have worked to draw up the guidance so the Pentagon could reverse course on allowing transgender individuals into the military in such a way that the changes would stand up in court.More news: Cilic viewing Murray's absence as a 'great opportunity' to win US Open
This is a reversal of an Obama-era policy - which was still under final review - that would have allowed transgender people to serve openly in the military.
Since Carter's policy change, some troops possibly a couple hundred have openly declared their status as transgender individuals.
California Democrat Ro Khanna tweeted: "Our transgender service members deserve honour and respect". But the President instructed him to extend the ban for an unlimited period. Implementation plans for the ban itself must be given to Trump by the same date.
Well, it seems that now, further direction has been received, as Trump officially signed an order on Friday evening that bans transgender military recruitment.More news: Can Roger Federer be stopped at the 2017 US Open?
Estimates of the number of transgender troops in the service vary widely. The Rand Corporation study estimated that only 29 to 129 service members "seek "transition-related care that could disrupt their ability to deploy". This would cost the military between $2.4 million and $8.4 million per year. But, if that isn't enough, a new report says that removing transgender soldier and sailors will cost almost $1 billion. The Pentagon pondered how to respond, and Secretary of Defense James Mattis said he was waiting to hear from the White House exactly how he should proceed. Duckworth is an army veteran.
- Veteran filmmaker Tobe Hooper, pioneer of horror films, passes away at 74
- South Korea: Kim Jong Un's third child born in February
- Animal Shelters Filling Up With Pets In Harvey's Wake
- Sarah Palin Libel Lawsuit against New York Times dismissed
- Apple iPhone 8 tipped to launch on September 12
- Destiny 2 PC Settings Detailed, Features 4K HDR, 60FPS
- Remains of All USS McCain Sailors Found: Navy
- Anti-Whaling Activists Prove No Match for Japanese Military Leviathan
- Joel Osteen responds to accusations of closing church doors to Harvey evacuees
- Officials after levee breaches in Texas: 'Get out now!'