The former sheriff said he would have great things to say about the president even if he had not pardoned him Friday for a conviction of criminal contempt. Prosecutors said Arpaio's office racially profiled suspects as part of a crackdown on illegal immigration.
Asked about the backlash by Fox News' John Roberts, Trump also seemed to defend the timing of the announcement - and push back on claims that he was trying to bury the news in coverage of Hurricane Harvey. Sheriff Joe protected our borders, and Sheriff Joe was very unfairly treated by the Obama administration, especially right before an election; an election that he would have won.More news: GOP senator wants details on border wall construction
"I was very discouraged the way (Flake) was not in the president's corner ... about a pardon", Arpaio said. The former sheriff was an early proponent of Mr Trump's candidacy, which mirrored Mr Arpaio's focus on illegal immigration, and Mr Trump noted that pardoning Mr Arpaio energized his own base. "We talk about the rule of law in this country and Joe Arpaio was violating the rule of law with impunity".
"President Obama commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who leaked countless sensitive and classified documents to Wikileaks, perhaps, and others, but terrible, disgusting thing that he did", Trump said. In July, Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt of court by a federal judge.
As far as those who would question him making a run at his age, Arpaio said, "T$3 here is a lot of discrimination against senior citizens big time.I'm proud to be my age". Cartwright had pleaded guilty to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in another leak case, and he wasn't yet sentenced when he won that pardon from Obama.More news: Champion Real Estate Investment Trust (2778.HK) Seeing Increased Action in Session
Third, that Arizonans "loved" Arpaio.
Further, he reminded press in the room of the controversial pardons and commutations handed down by Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. I've been talking to a former Justice Department officials about that.
Trump also again blasted the North American Free Trade Agreement, and even suggested that the USA would begin the process of pulling out of the pact as a way of countering Mexico. "I thought this was a very, very unfair thing to do".More news: Manchester City Offer Star Player As Part Of Alexis Sanchez Deal
- Disappointed you missed totality? Oklahomans can catch the next eclipse in 2024
- Houston Airport Service Updates
- Officials after levee breaches in Texas: 'Get out now!'
- IL House passes school funding bill
- NJ, NY Republicans Attack TX Colleagues for 'Hypocrisy'
- Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind Murdered, Body Found In North Dakota River
- Houston Astros owner donates $4million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
- Veteran filmmaker Tobe Hooper, pioneer of horror films, passes away at 74
- Dams and levee overflow as Houston suffers under Storm Harvey deluge
- India, China to pull back troops from border confrontation