Pakistan's anti-corruption tribunal has banned opener Sharjeel Khan for five years over a spot-fixing case that has rocked the Pakistan Super League, the latest scandal to taint the sport in the cricket-mad country.
A statement from PCB chairman Najam Sethi read: "The anti-corruption tribunal verdict against Sharjeel Khan is a vindication of our policy of zero tolerance against corrupt practices in the game of cricket".
After clearing Irfan from the case with a ban of one-year and a hefty fine, Sharjeel's case will be the second which will be decided on Wednesday.More news: South Korea: Kim Jong Un's third child born in February
Shegan Ijaz, counsel of Sharjeel Khan, said his client will exercise his right to appeal against what he termed as "unjust punishment". He was found guilty of all five breaches by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) tribunal. "We are objecting to the decision because we believe three serious charges have not been proven".
According to Pakistani media reports, Sharjeel would serve the five-year ban in two phases with two-and-a- half years being a suspended sentence to be served under the board's observation.
The other members of the tribunal were Tauqir Zia and Wasim Bari.More news: Trump Bans Transgender Recruits from the Military
Under the PCB code players can appeal rulings before an independent arbitrator within 14 days of the decision.
The tribunal could hand a tougher punishment on Khalid Latif as he has, unlike Sharjeel, not accepted the authority of the tribunal through his lawyer and also challenged the formation of the tribunal twice in the Lahore High Court. The ban will be effected from date when he was suspended in February 2017. Nawaz was banned for two months (one suspended) and fined 200,0000 rupees. Earlier, Sharjeel had denied his involvement in the case during the investigation.More news: Nigeria Confirms Its 5 Pilgrims To Mecca Have Died
- Hezbollah leader defends evacuation of IS fighters
- Bella Hadid confirmed for 2017 Victoria's Secret fashion show
- Paris St-Germain, Monaco Agree Loan Deal For Striker Kylian Mbappe
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) Stake Raised by Robeco Institutional Asset Management BV
- National Guard Response to Harvey Could Rise Tenfold, If Needed
- Taylor Swift makes biggest YouTube debut ever with new music video
- Destiny 2 PC Settings Detailed, Features 4K HDR, 60FPS
- Samsung announces Gear Fit2 Pro, Gear Sport
- Three killed as floods swamp India's financial hub Mumbai
- Fifth Harmony rumoured to split