Mosquitoes in the area served by the health unit tested positive for the virus in July, and a first human case was confirmed earlier in August. Residents are urged to take precautions, especially while partaking in outdoor activities.
Checking doors and window screens for holes and gaps, wearing long trousers and long-sleeved shirts, and using mosquito repellent can help prevent against bites as well, they said. Mosquitoes acquire the virus by feeding on infected birds.
People are encouraged to use insect repellent, wear light-coloured clothing, and stay indoors during dusk and dawn.More news: Crosby Ammonia Plant in Danger of Exploding As Harvey Fallout Continues
Four other probable causes of the virus have appeared in OH this year.
About 80% of people who get the virus don't know they have it. Older adults and persons with weakened immune systems and/or other chronic illnesses are at the greatest risk for severe illness. When infected, some people will experience flu-like symptoms.
The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit says lab results show two probable cases of the virus, with one of those likely being contracted in New Tecumseth.More news: National Guard Response to Harvey Could Rise Tenfold, If Needed
West Nile virus usually causes a mild form of the illness, which can include fever, headache, body aches, swollen lymph glands, or a rash. "This year we have four suspect cases", said John Hausbeck, environmental health supervisor.
A spike is being seen in dead birds with WNV.
Before 1999, when it was detected in New York City, West Nile virus was found in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Australia.More news: Anti-Whaling Activists Prove No Match for Japanese Military Leviathan
- Nigeria Confirms Its 5 Pilgrims To Mecca Have Died
- How Will Hurricane Harvey Affect Gas Prices?
- Destiny 2 PC Settings Detailed, Features 4K HDR, 60FPS
- Trump Bans Transgender Recruits from the Military
- Peruvian Olympic runner Torrence found dead
- South Korea: Kim Jong Un's third child born in February
- Gilead Seeks Diversification Into Immuno-oncology Space With $11.9 Billion Kite Buy
- EU's Barnier says United Kingdom must be clearer on Brexit as talks continue
- Samsung announces Gear Fit2 Pro, Gear Sport
- United States approves first gene therapy treatment