Play has been abandoned in the County Championship clash between Surrey and Middlesex after the "projectile" was sacked into the ground, in Kennington, south London, from outside at around 4.20pm, according to the competition's official Twitter feed. Fans urged to move indoors.
"Let's hope it's a couple of people who will feel pretty ashamed in the morning when they realise what happened".
The projectile, which is now in the possession of the Metropolitan Police, is thought to have been fired into the ground from outside the boundary walls and landed near Surrey fielder Ollie Pope.
Play was abandoned and fans were evacuated during a County Championship cricket match at The Oval on Thursday after a metal arrow was sacked onto the pitch. At this early stage it is believed that the object came from outside of the ground.There have been no arrests.More news: United States approves first gene therapy treatment
No one was injured and, according to a statement issued by the Metropolitan Police, it is believed the arrow was sacked from outside The Oval in Kennington, south London.
"We don't know whether this projectile was placed deliberately or whether it was simply fired by somebody from a distance and we just happened to be the landing spot, so we don't even know necessarily that it was done on objective", Gould also told BBC Radio London. It could very easily have killed someone.
After the players had been taken from the field and spectators told to take cover inside the stands, BBC Radio 5 Live confirmed armed police had arrived at the ground.
"We will of course review and see if there are any other measures which need to be taken into consideration". If it is more than mischief-making then we need to find the perpetrators.More news: Farrah Abraham's Daughter Needs To Focus On Modeling, So Now She's Homeschooled
"There is probably no way of securing against this type of incident if it was sacked from outside".
Surrey CCC chief executive Richard Gould praised The Oval's security staff and the umpires for their quick response to the incident.
Play between Surrey and Middlesex was suspended as players were told to go inside, before the game was later abandoned.More news: Bella Hadid confirmed for 2017 Victoria's Secret fashion show
- 'Baadshaho' Cast Stormed Out Of 'The Kapil Sharma Show' Sets. Know Why?
- US GDP Growth Revised Up to 3.0% Pace in the Second Quarter
- Protesters rally outside Trump buildings to save Dreamer program
- Sharjeel Khan banned for five years in PSL spot-fixing case
- Taylor Swift makes biggest YouTube debut ever with new music video
- Texas Mother Died Saving Daughter 'Clinging' to Her in Harvey Flood
- The iPhone 8's dock might work more like the new iPad's
- West Nile-infected mosquitoes found in Groton
- Nigeria Confirms Its 5 Pilgrims To Mecca Have Died
- Samsung announces Gear Fit2 Pro, Gear Sport