In the standing table of World Cup Qualifying - CAF of Group B, the team Zambia is in the third place with one point and the team Algeria is in the fourth place with one point.
Algeria stay bottom of Group B on 1 point from three game and are a point behind 3rd placed Cameroon who lost 4-0 away to Nigeria in the other Group B clash earlier on Friday in Uyo.
Algeria though came back stronger after the break and got their lucky break in the 52nd minute when Yacine Brahimi rifled in an unstoppable volley.
"Nigeria lead the group but I believe Cameroon can beat them on Monday and hopefully we also win our game".More news: Tottenham signing Llorente dreaming of trophies with Spurs
Ultimately, Mwepu sealed all three points for the home side two minutes from time when he lashed a ball across M'Bolhi's goal and into the far corner as the hosts caught Algeria on the counter attack.
Ivory Coast is on track, a 3-0 win Saturday confirmed that, while Sadio Mane's Senegal is hanging in there.
Wilmots was brought in as coach after Ivory Coast, the defending champion, crashed out of the African Cup of Nations in Gabon in the first round at the beginning of the year.
Gabon sorely missed 2015 African Footballer of the Year Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as the striker declined to return home from German club Borussia Dortmund. Only the five group winners qualify for the World Cup.More news: Moscow to inform Washington of its reaction to consulate closure - Lavrov
Morocco trounced nine-man Mali 6-0 in Rabat after a match that produced two red and eight yellow cards.
Teenage prodigy Patrick Daka set up a second goal in the 33rd minute as he cut in to cross for Fashion Sakala, whose scuffed shot was parried by Algeria goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi, with Mwila first to the rebound.
Hakim Ziyech scored twice for the "Atlas Lions" and Khalid Boutaib, Achraf Hakimi, Faycal Fajr and Mimoun Mahi once.
Yassine Meriah converted a penalty to give the "Carthage Eagles" a lead that was cancelled two minutes before half-time through a Cedric Bakambu header.More news: Mandira Bedi joins Prabhas starrer Saaho..
- Kejriwal slams MCD, calls Ghazipur landfill collapse man-made disaster
- County cricket match abandoned as 'crossbow bolt' lands on field
- Kevin Hart's challenge fuels big bucks A-list donations for hurricane aid
- North Korea: Theresa May urges China to intervene
- The NFL's Ezekiel Elliott domestic violence investigation is an absolute mess
- Manufacturing sector contracts for third month in a row, index shows
- LSU dominates BYU, 27-0
- Davide Zappacosta joins Chelsea in £23M deal
- 'I Don't Want to Be Disappointed by Congress' on Tax Reform
- Are Analysts Bullish Workspace Group plc (LON:WKP) After Last Week?