Five days of rain are forecast for most of Mexico's territory due to the effects of storms in the region including Katia, Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose, said Luis Felipe Puente, the head of Mexico's national emergency services.
Irma's wind speeds have placed the storm deep into Category 5 classification, which requires sustained winds greater than 156 miles per hour (251 kph).
Hurricane Jose and Hurricane Katia are right behind Irma. And they are very different storms. At this time, Jose is not expected to follow the same path as Irma.More news: Vacancies prompt state police to offer abbreviated academy
At least nine people have been killed so far by category 5 Hurricane Irma after it smashed into the Caribbean with winds of up to 180mph.
"On Saturday, it will pass a few hundred kilometres north/northeast of Saint Martin Island and Saint Barthelemy, probably as a Category 2" storm, he said.
If Irma's center marches north directly over Florida's eastern coastline, former hurricane hunter Jeff Masters says high winds and storm surges could turn the Gold Coast to the Mud Coast.
The third most-populous USA state, Florida is where Hurricane Irma is expected to make final landfall, with a large chunk of the state's population of 20 million in the path of the storm.More news: BJP to go alone in Odisha in 2019: Amit Shah
The government of Mexico issued a hurricane watch for the coast of the state of Veracruz from Tuxpan to Laguna Verde.
"Those of you who think your homes may not be safe enough should immediately seek shelter with family, friends, or neighbors until the storm is over", Prime Minister William Marlin said Tuesday.
As of 10 a.m. AST Thursday, Katia had maximum sustained winds of 80 miles per hour and was stationary, according to NOAA.More news: IFA 2017: Huawei reveals low-power Kirin 970 mobile AI chipset
And though Jose is now shown heading north in the Atlantic, several of the 30 weather models offer the possibility that it could move toward the East Coast after Irma dies out, which could bring more rain and wind to Harrisburg.
- Andrew Luck 'unlikely' to play Week 1
- Cilic, Isner Upsets Add to US Open Chaos; Federer, Nadal Up Saturday
- Haley lays out case for U.S. to leave Iran deal
- American Horror Story: Cult season premiere live stream
- Data On 'Millions' Of Time Warner Cable Customers Leaked
- Princess Mako attracted to Komuro's 'shining smile'
- Foster warns over powersharing talks as Brokenshire meets parties at Stormont
- All Myanmar Muslims suffering state-backed persecution: Rights group
- Iran, Syria tie in World Cup qualifier
- Xbox One screensavers to be deployed with a future update