But McCain noted that while there were some positive signs following a recent round of chemotherapy, he was fighting against a "very virulent form of cancer".
Despite the aggressive cancer, the Republican 2008 presidential nominee said "all the results so far are excellent" and he has "more energy than ever".
He told Tapper that he'll be getting an MRI on Monday to see how well his treatment has worked. And there's two ways of looking at these things.
Asked why a wide swath of his party denied the scientific community's conclusions about climate change, McCain answered, "I don't know".More news: Man City vs. Liverpool all about absentees Sterling and Coutinho
TAPPER: I think that we can say honorably. He said, 'I always knew that no one could live forever, but I thought there might be one exception.' So you've got to have joy.
"I'm very happy with my life", McCain said.
In the interview, McCain slammed an agreement Trump made last week with Democratic leaders to tie funding for hurricane relief to a three-month extension of spending and suspension of the debt ceiling.
"This was not an exercise in bipartisanship", McCain said, because it left out House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.More news: Explosive used by IS found in France apartment
Mr. McCain urged to replace the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals campaign to be done in a comprehensive immigration package that will provide the permanent protections for young immigrants.
"I hope I don't run this clip for another 50 years".
Sen. John McCain on Sunday called for the United States to step up its presence around North Korea and make clear to its leader, Kim Jong Un, that aggressive acts would lead to the annihilation of his country. But served his country.
'I am able to celebrate a wonderful life and I will be grateful for additional time that I have, ' McCain said, adding: 'Remember, I'm the guy who stood fifth from the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy.' McCain was re-elected to a sixth Senate term in November.More news: Indiana National Guard deploying to Florida ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Lions Rookie WR Kenny Golladay is KILLING IT
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Reviews Are in and They're Thumbs Up
- Suspected Columbus, Ohio, high school shooter arrested
- Man Utd ace Lukaku 'very grateful for second Mourinho opportunity'
- Sen. Rubio says Hurricane Irma has potential to be "worst-case scenario"
- Gap to close 200 stores, open others
- Destiny 2: Raid, Xur and More Events Dated In New Roadmap
- Protests in South Korea as nations wrestle with North missile threat
- Lubbock Family Evacuates Hurricane Irma from the Caribbean
- Aaron Donald ends holdout, still out Week 1 for Rams