The Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief telethon airs Tuesday at 8pm on E!, Bravo, Oxygen, MTV, HBO, ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CMT, and BET. But her view of the devastating storm-as well as Hurricane Irma and other natural disasters-is also political. The organizers said they were inspired by television reports of volunteers who formed a human chain to help rescue one Houston victim from the flood. Officials estimate at least 70 people died from Hurricane Harvey and another 22 deaths were reported from Hurricane Irma; together, they've caused up to $290 billion in damage to Texas and Florida.
A week ago, Bun B announced that he was organizing a telethon for Hurricane Harvey victims in Houston, the altruistic rapper recruited several A-list celebrities to join him on his charitable mission. Those proceeds will go toward Comic Relief USA's hurricane relief efforts through the US and Caribbean.More news: After deadly natural disaster , Mexico says it can't help Texas recovery
"National disasters don't discriminate", said the Houston native. They don't care if you're an immigrant, black or white, Hispanic or Asian, Jewish or Muslim, wealthy or poor.
Over 2,000 call center volunteers stationed throughout the country will be on hand to take donations tonight. Celebrities in the acting and music industry answered the phone calls and jotted down the pledges for victims of Hurricane Harvey.More news: Abe arrives on two-day Gujarat visit today
Justin Bieber, George Clooney, Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks were just some of the stars who appeared in the event, broadcast simultaneously from New York, Los Angeles, San Antonio and Nashville. In addition, George Strait performed "Texas" alongside Miranda Lambert, Chris Stapleton, Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen.
The chart-topping pop star stressed that countless families were now homeless, adding that "it doesn't matter if you're from Third Ward or River Oaks, we're all in this together".More news: Justice Department Asks Supreme Court to Uphold Refugee Ban
The Hand In Hand event centred on a charity telethon, with performances by some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. During this time, when there's so much division, we need to fight back with action and unity.
- Monaco's Thomas Lemar to join Manchester United in January
- China Becomes Latest Country To Consider The Ban Of Gas, Diesel Vehicles
- Xiaomi takes on Apple's MacBook Pro with the new Mi Notebook Pro
- Eli Gold previews Alabama's home opener with Fresno State
- Sergio Dipp becomes national hero after groundbreaking 'MNF' sideline report
- Cardinals RB David Johnson to undergo wrist surgery
- Shame Peace Nobel Winner Aung San Suu Kyi To Treat Rohingyas Humanely
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
- Hurricane Jose continues to meander in the Atlantic
- Patty Jenkins closes $7+ million deal to direct Wonder Woman 2