The Sentinelle is a French military operation created to deploy additional police and gendarmerie forces in the country after the January 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris.
Reports state that the man was not previously known to the police, and has been arrested. The attacker was overpowered by the soldier and arrested.
The soldier was with the Sentinelle force assigned to protect prominent sites after deadly Islamic extremist attacks in recent years.More news: Destiny 2 servers down for maintenance this afternoon, but not for long
Operation Sentinel has been in operation since 2015 following the January 2015 terror attacks at the Charlie Hebdo office and Jewish Hypercache supermarket.
French Defense Minister Florence Parly said the number of troops involved in the Sentinelle operation would remain at 7,000 under the plan.
The soldier quickly brought the man under control. Last month a man rammed his auto into a group of soldiers near Paris, injuring six of them. The incident took place in Levallois-Perret commune, only 6 km from the capital. No one else was attacked or injured.More news: Jennifer Lawrence Is Planning A Two-Year Break From Acting!
French police have one terrorism suspect in custody and are on a manhunt for another terror suspect after two separate terror attacks today. In April, a police officer was killed in a shooting on the Champs-Elysées.
The attacker is said to have approached the soldier from behind before lunging at him with a blade. It has been extended on several occasions; The latest extension came in July and is expected to last until November 1.More news: Hurricane Jose continues to meander in the Atlantic
- Russian Federation begins large scale Zapad 2017 military exercise in Belarus
- President Trump praises rapid response to Irma in Florida
- White House: Trump 'looks forward' to signing resolution condemning white supremacists
- FPL communications 'overwhelmed' with outage reports, customer inquiries
- Rebel Wilson Wins $3.6 Million Defamation Payout
- Apple Has Removed The Built-In App Store In iTunes 12.7
- Irma and Indiana: When You'll Get Rain and Wind
- Cardinals RB David Johnson to undergo wrist surgery
- Status yellow wind warning for Wicklow
- 'Last Chance U' star charged in connection with Tennessee homicide