"This is incredible", Sampha said as he collected his prize at the Apollo venue in west London. But back in February he finally released Process, his debut solo album, via Young Turks.
The Awards Show was hosted by BBC Music's Lauren Laverne and guest presenter, Idris Elba announced the overall victor.More news: Trump's Treasury secretary requested government jet for honeymoon
The album was selected from a shortlist of 12 albums produced during the past year by artists from Britain.
Sheeran, who is touring in the USA, sent a video message saying he was not expecting to be shortlisted but adding it was always a goal to play the Shepherds Bush Empire and have a Mercury-nominated album.
Photo Sampha, who received the 2017 Hyundai Mercury Prize for his debut LP, "Process".
Idris Elba said of the event: "The Hyundai Mercury Prize is a huge moment in the music calendar and I'm so happy to be involved".More news: Sergio Dipp becomes national hero after groundbreaking 'MNF' sideline report
Last year Skepta won and the year before it was Benjamin Clementine.
Numerous landmark albums have previously won the coveted Mercury Music Prize.
The musician born in London to Sierra Leonean parents dedicated the prize to his family.More news: FPL communications 'overwhelmed' with outage reports, customer inquiries
- Russian Federation begins large scale Zapad 2017 military exercise in Belarus
- Apple Has Removed The Built-In App Store In iTunes 12.7
- Status yellow wind warning for Wicklow
- North Korea threatens US, Japan over United Nations sanctions
- Apple unveils cellular watch as new iPhone awaited
- Knife-wielding man 'attacks French soldier in Paris'
- Rebel Wilson Wins $3.6 Million Defamation Payout
- Access To Military Sites Debated As White House Reconsiders Iran Nuclear Deal
- Paris And Los Angeles Announced As Hosts Of 2024 & 2028 Olympic Games
- Iwobi Excited As Arsenal Face Cologne In Europa League