Pharma stocks for a second day in row were performing better, being the only sectoral index to be in green.
The lingering tension in the Korean peninsula, China's credit downgrade by S&P Global ratings and US Federal Reserve's hint about a December rate hike further dampened the sentiments on the domestic bourses. "Investors are also fretting on the impact on fiscal deficit targets if the government were to go overdrive with economic revival plans".More news: USA flies warplanes amid tensions with N Korea
Indian shares plunged the most in ten months on Friday as concerns over the nation's fiscal deficit and escalating tensions in North Korea prompted a selloff.
Reuters late Thursday reported that the additional spending was estimated to widen the fiscal deficit for the financial year ending March to 3.7% of the GDP from a budgeted aim of 3.2%.
"The domestic currency hit 65 levels against the United States dollar for the first time in more than five months on the back of speculation about the government going in for a fiscal deficit relaxation, with talk of a Rs 40,000-Rs 50,000 crore stimulus". The rupee today dropped by 34 paise to a six and a half month low level of 65.15 against the U.S. dollar.
Following extreme weakness in stocks, the market capitalisation of BSE-listed companies slumped Rs 2,68,853.7 crore to Rs 1,33,40,008 crore.More news: What Elisabeth Moss's Best-Actress Win Means for Hulu
However, the rupee recovered in the intra-day trade to end the day at 64.79 per dollar.
Major Sensex losers were: Tata Steel, down 4.70 per cent at Rs 654.55; Larsen and Toubro, down 3.49 per cent at Rs 1,184.90; Reliance Industries, down 2.83 per cent at Rs 817.50; ICICI Bank, down 2.77 per cent at Rs 277.10; and Hero MotoCorp, down 2.59 per cent at Rs 3,788.15.
Sector-wise, all the 19 sub-indices of the BSE closed in the red, led by capital goods (down 603.52 points), metals (down 554.26 points) and banking (down 526.84 points) indices.More news: Kylie Jenner reportedly pregnant with boyfriend Travis Scott's baby
- HTC U11 Plus Details Leaked
- That's my boy - Real boss Zidane faces son Enzo
- UN Security Council concerned over planned referendum in Kurdistan Region
- Hurricane Maria smashes into Puerto Rico with winds of 155mph
- Robert Mueller's investigators interviewed Rod Rosenstein, who is overseeing the Russian Federation investigation
- France will skip 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang if safety isn't assured
- IOS 11 deals a blow to Uber's creepy location tracking habit
- Rohingya Refugees To Receive $32 Million In Aid From US
- Pakistan appeals United Nations to appoint a special representative for Kashmir
- South Korea approves aid to North Korea, North calls Trump 'barking dog'