On Friday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Westbrook signed a five-year, $205 million extension with the Thunder.
And funnily enough, he did it on the same day as former teammate turned adversary Kevin Durant's birthday.
George will hit unrestricted free agency next summer, with plenty of buzz circulating around the league about where he'll end up. In doing so, they left themselves open for a mass exodus of talent next summer.
Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti traded for four-time All-Star Paul George just before the start of free agency. The Thunder recently shipped to Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a 2018 second-round pick to the New York Knicks for All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony. Now, they have a reason to stay.More news: The SNES Classic Has Launched - And It Went Better Than Expected
Should they want to sign extensions with Oklahoma City, the Thunder can go over the salary cap to sign Anthony and George.
August 4 had previous year been named as "Russell Westbrook Day" by the mayor.
Westbrook's five-year, $205 million extension will nearly ensure his legendary status for all time in Oklahoma, but will his legacy include a title? "I am so honoured to have the opportunity to continue my career here with the Thunder".
The Thunder offered Westbrook a five-year maximum extension July 1, but the reigning MVP waited almost three months to make the deal official. Westbrook's total contract is the biggest in National Basketball Association history at $233 million over six years, so he can certainly add to his wardrobe.More news: Al-Shabab attacks base in Somalia, kills 15
When Durant bolted for Golden State, Westbrook became the man in Oklahoma City.
After a historic MVP season averaging a triple-double of 31.6 points, 10.7 rebounds and 10.4 assists, Westbrook's choice promises the Thunder relevance and contention into the foreseeable future - and even stands as a victory for the NBA's beleaguered small-market teams.
Now, it's time to get to work on the floor, as Head Coach Billy Donovan guides the Thunder through U.S. Cellular Training Camp to prepare the group for opening night on October 19th.More news: ODI: Australia fight back to victory
- Crude Oil Prices Rally On Market Optimis
- Liberals urged to retaliate against Boeing, White House after Bombardier ruling
- Blade Runner short films get a bloody anime from Cowboy Bebop director
- Raikkonen will not change plans to help Vettel
- Thomas-Fowler, Reed-Spieth lift United States at Presidents Cup
- Sessions: Trump 'Has Free Speech Rights too'
- Free Coffee! Friday is National Coffee Day, here's where to snag deals
- Ryanair to slow growth in a move affecting 400000 passengers
- Japan's defense chief warns of possible North Korea provocation on October 10
- Newcastle United vs Liverpool - betting tips and predictions