Detective Kristen Hearne, 29, was killed in the shooting, which was described as "more or less an ambush" by Polk County Police officials at a press conference on Friday.
Seth Brandon Spangler is in custody hours after the Polk County shootings took place Friday morning during an investigation into a stolen vehicle.
Hearne's death marks the first time in the Polk County Police Department's 60-year history that an officer has died in the line of duty. "I mean they come out and surprised these officers and he drew the gun before they even knew what happened", said Polk County Police Chief Kenny Dodd. He said one officer had called the other to serve as backup and both were shot as they approached the vehicle.
Authorities say a Georgia police officer has been shot.More news: Russell Westbrook solidifies his future with the Oklahoma City Thunder
When Spangler emerged from the woods a second time, he was wearing no clothes, Dodd said.
Keenan said Roof will also face charges. The 29-year-old served on the department for five years and is survived by her husband, an officer in Aragon, Ga., and a 3-year-old daughter.
Dodd reportedly called her a hard worker and fought back tears as he addressed reporters, saying, "Words can't express the sorrow and the hurt that we feel right now as an agency".
Hearne was a graduate of Rockmart High School.More news: Blade Runner short films get a bloody anime from Cowboy Bebop director
Hearne began her career in law enforcement almost a decade ago but had been serving in Polk County for five years. "It's a senseless killing".
Spangler was wanted on outstanding Walker County warrants for probation violation, Keenan said. He served more than a year in prison for methamphetamine possession and a weapons charge, and was released in August 2016.
"I don't understand why ... no idea why he thought it was worth taking the life of a law officer who was just doing her job", Dodd said.More news: Ryanair to slow growth in a move affecting 400000 passengers
- Cops seal off booths to scuttle Catalonia vote
- Sessions: Trump 'Has Free Speech Rights too'
- The SNES Classic Has Launched - And It Went Better Than Expected
- Twitter to double character limit to 280
- Moscow regards situation in Catalonia as Spain's internal affair
- Thomas-Fowler, Reed-Spieth lift United States at Presidents Cup
- Free Coffee! Friday is National Coffee Day, here's where to snag deals
- Crude Oil Prices Rally On Market Optimis
- Supreme Court to hear union fair share case
- Teen dead, another injured in school stabbing