In addition to the 2013 breach, Yahoo said that hackers in 2014 stole personal data from more than 500 million of its user accounts.
Verizon chose to merge the two businesses after its purchase of Yahoo's mail service, news and finance service, and the Flickr and Tumblr social networks completed in June.More news: Raiders lose QB Carr for 2-6 weeks
In December 2016, Yahoo disclosed that more than one billion of the approximately three billion accounts had likely been affected.
News of the Yahoo breach broke last summer as it was being acquired by Verizon. "The investigation indicates that the user account information that was stolen did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information".More news: Facebook to Handover 3000 Russian-Related Ads to Congress
The revelation isn't a huge security issue for the company or for users, though it is a black eye at a time when cybersecurity is in the limelight due the Equifax hack.
Verizon formally closed on the Yahoo! acquisition on June 13, 2017.More news: Philadelphia Eagles versus LA Chargers: How to watch, radio call
"Verizon is committed to the highest standards of accountability and transparency, and we proactively work to ensure the safety and security of our users and networks in an evolving landscape of online threats", Chandra McMahon, Verizon's chief information security officer, said in a press release. Yahoo is notifying users. In the update, it said that it had determined that all accounts that existed at the time of the August 2013 hacking were compromised.
- Marseille attack: Knifeman shot dead by army as one killed in stabbing
- Tillerson 'wasting his time' negotiating with North Korea
- NFL Week Four Match Up: Rams at Cowboys
- Oscar Pistorius has a 'horrific' movie made after him, here's the trailer
- No. 21 Florida Gators, Vanderbilt Commodores look forward to fresh starts
- Advice for holidaymakers as Monarch goes bust
- 'Surprised' Hamilton on pole, Vettel last at Malaysian GP
- Google reveals new policy to boost struggling news organisations
- Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock's Disturbing Secret Emerges
- Roku Announces Five New Streaming Players