IG Khan, however, denied reports of damaged fencing and said the terrorists carried out the attack by cutting the barbed fence around the camp.
According to police sources, militants entered the 182 Battalion camp in Srinagar's Humhama area attacked the BSF camp at 4:30 AM.
All three militants, who were on a suicide mission and were disguised in CRPF uniform, were neutralised in a joint operation of the Central Reserve Police Force, the Jammu and Kashmir Police and the BSF before they could cause significant casualities. "No doubt JeM is a threat, because it believes in carrying out surprise fidayeen attacks on security installations".More news: NFL players have a constitutional right to protest the national anthem
The officer added: "As long as Pakistan is our neighbour, such attacks will keep happening".
Militant outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has claimed responsibility for the attack while authorities have closed all educational institutions in the area for security reasons. He told CNN-News18, "I have spoken to DG CRPF and DG BSF. It was a good operation that they have conducted", he said. Sources in BSF told Mirror that the terrorists have positioned themselves inside barracks of the BSF and there was heavy exchange of gunfire between the two sides. "They killed the second terrorist", he said.
Militants have in recent months targeted police camps in Kashmir.
Undeterred, the two surviving militants launched a fresh attack, firing at the BSF camp. "Only one flight was delayed or cancelled, and the rest operated normally", Mr. Khan said.More news: 3 takeaways from win over Texas Tech
The last time NSG led an operation was during the Pathankot terror attack in 2016 when terrorists had entered an Air Force station.
The Governor observed that he had spoken on these lines with Director General of Police (DGP) Dr S P Vaid immediately after he was informed about the fidayeen attack.
"The local cadres of militants in Kashmir have been eliminated by security forces".More news: Heading into the postseason, standings show Major League Baseball is awash in great teams
- Las Vegas shooting: How you can help
- Philadelphia Eagles versus LA Chargers: How to watch, radio call
- Raiders lose QB Carr for 2-6 weeks
- Two killed in Pakistan shelling on LoC (Second Lead)
- Facebook to Handover 3000 Russian-Related Ads to Congress
- Manchester City make Napoli contract rebel a priority for January transfer window
- Google reveals new policy to boost struggling news organisations
- Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock may have planned attack on Lorde concert
- LSU paid Troy almost $1 million to come and beat them
- Yasir's five-for restricts Sri Lanka to 138