SIEGEL: Singer-songwriter Tom Petty, who was also part of the '80s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys.
The Care2 petition has reached 3,976 of its 4,000 requested supporters as of 11 a.m. Wednesday.
There is no word yet as to where the memorial would go, who would pay for a statue or if this petition will hold any merit.More news: Senate Intel Heads Say Trump-Russia Collusion Still an Open Question
While Swift hasn't released her own rendition of "Free Fallin'", years ago, she did cover his song "American Girl", a catchy but different version from Petty's.
In a 2007 interview, Petty said that he loved music so much that it was beyond anything he knew. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the quintessential American individualists.
"I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country", Petty told Rolling Stone a year ago. "You Wreck Me" and "American Girl", a double dose of classic Petty if there ever was one. "With a little kid, that's a lot of time".More news: Jurgen Klopp admits he wanted to sign Romelu Lukaku over the summer
That isn't to say, though, that his music was all the same upbeat rock that one might immediately associate with him.
Rock fans will never again hear live performances of "Don't Do Me Like That" or his song about every triumphant underdog, "Even the Losers".
He wrapped up a tour with the Heartbreakers on September 25. "I would think we'd be in the streets demanding that our children be safe in schools".
Jeff Tweedy and company offered up a faithful rendition of the cut "The Waiting", which was a hit off of Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's 1981 record Hard Promises, which became a cathartic sing-along at the Music Factory.More news: Bangladesh, Myanmar joint group to oversee Rohingya repatriation
Petty's Americana twang, combined with simple rock & roll music and romanticised stories of rebellious individuals nearly always existing somewhere in California struck a chord with listeners, and tracks like "The Waiting", "Listen To Her Heart", "Refugee", "Mary Jane's Last Dance", and "Learning To Fly" were immediate hits.
- House Passes 'Pain Capable' Bill Banning Abortion After 20 Weeks
- Catalonia's leader: 'We will declare independence in a matter of days'
- Las Vegas shooting: How you can help
- President Trump doesn't let up on criticism of San Juan mayor
- Roku Announces Five New Streaming Players
- Heading into the postseason, standings show Major League Baseball is awash in great teams
- Two killed in Pakistan shelling on LoC (Second Lead)
- Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock may have planned attack on Lorde concert
- Yahoo Triples Likely Scope of '13 Hack to 3 Billion Users
- Oscar Pistorius has a 'horrific' movie made after him, here's the trailer