Oklahoma had collected one of the most impressive victories in college football this season, winning at Ohio State 31-16 on September 9. Iowa State has played solid games against Iowa and Texas, and a breakthrough here would be huge for the program. After an Iowa State field goal, the Sooners drove to the Cyclones' five-yard line, but Mayfield and Trey Sermon fumbled an exchange, and Lanning fell on it. Iowa State needed only seven plays to go 94 yards and capitalize on the mistake, thanks to a 22-yard David Montgomery run, a 35-yard Allen Lazard catch and a 28-yard Marchie Murdock touchdown from Kempt.
"Jacob is a great young man dealing with some personal medical concerns", Iowa State coach Matt Campbell said in a prepared statement.More news: Final results for 2017 general elections
A former top 100 recruit out of Charleston, S.C., Park enrolled at Georgia in 2014, but never played a down at the school in the wake of OC/QB coach Mike Bobo's departure.
Injuries aren't an excuse for losing this game, but the Sooners had more than their fair share in this game. "I'm sure I will get comments of "Iowa State is my dad" or something like that". The defense that looked dominant in nonconference play has been leaky during Big 12 action.
After scoring on its first four drives, Oklahoma came away from the next four drives with no points, letting the Cyclones back into the game. After the Oklahoma loss, the Horned Frogs were the Big 12's lone undefeated team and entered the weekend ranked eighth in the Associated Press poll.More news: U.S. automakers post first monthly sales gain of year in September
Oklahoma led the all-time series 74-5-2, and hadn't lost to Iowa State since 1990.
The move mimicked what Mayfield himself did at Ohio Stadium earlier this season when he planted an Oklahoma flag in the middle of the block "O" at midfield.
But instead, it was the Cyclones that took advantage of the extra time, holding the Sooners to a three-and-out and then getting the ball back with 26 seconds remaining before half.More news: United Nations slams Myanmar's denial of access to Rakhine
- Where to get McDonald's limited-edition Szechuan Sauce in central Pa.
- Pence: America must be 'dominant in space'
- Tillerson Says US Concerned About Pakistan Govt's Future
- World Cup without Lionel Messi edges closer to becoming reality
- United States rocker Tom Petty reported 'clinging to life'
- Amaju Pinnick: "The Super Eagles need to keep calm against Zambia"
- Scotland secures last-minute win over Slovakia
- Joe Girardi says he 'screwed up' by not challenging HBP call
- Sequel's bad habits break "Blade Runner" spell
- Trump to Decertify Nuclear Deal With Iran