A low pressure area has formed over the North Bay of Bengal and adjoining South Bangladesh today under the influence of the upper air cyclonic circulation over North Bay of Bengal and neighbourhood.
Though rain and strong winds that lashed the city from Sunday night had eased, the Met department forecast one or two spells of rain in Kolkata and adjoining areas till tommorow.
Heavy showers disrupted normal life in the southern part of West Bengal early on Monday morning.
It has now moved close to Purulia, regional Met director said G K Das said.More news: TV Reporter Accuses Harvey Weinstein of Forcing Her to Watch Him Masturbate
"At 45 places in the city, trees got uprooted and at least three lamp posts got damaged due to rain".
The city was paralysed yesterday following the heavy downpour.
Asansol town in West Burdwan district was the most affected today, recording 95.5 mm precipitation in nine hours till 5.30 PM, it said.
Rainfall at many places with heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over Chhattisgarh and south Odisha on October 10 and over Bihar on 10th and 11th October.More news: Chicago Man Arrested For Vandalizing Christopher Columbus Statue
It is likely to move west-northwestwards initially during next 24 hours and move northwards thereafter.
Departure of flights from Kolkata airport were temporarily suspended due to bad weather.
Fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea till Wednesday morning, the Met department said.
Arrival of as many as 47 flights and departure of about 35 flights was rescheduled and many flights were delayed, an official said. "Along with local and traffic police, six Kolkata Police's disaster management teams are working in tandem to meet the crisis", said a senior police officer. Another flight from Silchar to Kolkata had to land at Guwahati and a flight from Agartala to Kolkata had to return, an AI spokesperson said.More news: How Smart Speakers Differ Pricewise
- Trump asks me for tweeting advice, says his ex-wife Ivana
- Political storm over report on junior Shah's business growth
- India failed to cause problems for opponents, says coach Matos
- Egypt's Chances of Passing Group Qualifications Improves after Uganda and Ghana Draw
- 13th person from Hollywood nursing home dies, lawyer says
- Spanish gov't to take measures if Catalonia region unilaterally declares independence
- United States approves $15 billion sale of THAAD missile system to Saudi Arabia
- VP Pence Leaves NFL Game After Players Protest During Anthem
- Vegas shooter Paddock scouted Fenway Park
- Tony Ferguson Praises His Own 'Genius' Fighting Style