The Australian, who has had notable clashes with authority over recent years which have resulted in him being fined for audible obscenities, racket smashing and unsportsmanlike conduct, insists he has struggled to focus for the minor events in which he plays. The 31-year-old saved two match points in his nervy opener against Frenchman Lucas Pouille, but was never really in trouble as Kyrgios's final hopes evaporated in acrimony.
World number 19 Kyrgios matched Nadal early on, winning his opening two service games but became involved in a debate with umpire Mohamed Lahyani over a close line call against him.More news: United States approves $15 billion sale of THAAD missile system to Saudi Arabia
He continued to argue the toss with the official who eventually awarded a penalty point against the Australian during the changeover when he trailed 2-5, meaning he began the eighth game already 0-15 behind.
It is just the latest indiscretion for Kyrgios, 22, whose potential has often been betrayed by his temperament - including at last year's Shanghai Masters, where he was fined for "lack of best efforts" in an extraordinary defeat to Mischa Zverev. He played well, I played awful. He's in great form. Now riding a 12-match win streak, it's Nadal's first title in the post-US Open portion of the season since winning Tokyo in 2010, where he also saved match point en route to the title. But I guess there were positives.More news: Trump asks me for tweeting advice, says his ex-wife Ivana
But Kyrgios appeared put out by a line call that went against him in the first game and Nadal was in no mood to hand out favours as he cruised to a 6-2 6-1 victory.
Nadal will face a familiar figure in Dimitrov - the pair practiced together at Nadal's base in Mallorca before the U.S. Open, where the Spaniard won the title for a third time this year.More news: Man released following Natural History Museum crash
"In the semi-final I played well, obviously beating Alex, it's a typical type of week for me: beat a player well, then pretty much no-show".
- Spanish gov't to take measures if Catalonia region unilaterally declares independence
- Remnants From Nate Bringing Rain, Gusty Winds To Parts Of Tri
- Giants lose Odell Beckham to broken ankle as disastrous season gets worse
- Iowa State QB Park takes leave from team for medical reasons
- Spain the 11th Team to Qualify for the 2018 World Cup
- Microsoft Has Given Up On Trying to Make Windows Phones a Thing
- Stymied Police Seek Help in Uncovering Vegas Gunman's Motive
- 13th person from Hollywood nursing home dies, lawyer says
- Hulu Releases New Teaser For Marvel's Runaways
- Chicago Man Arrested For Vandalizing Christopher Columbus Statue