The former AC Milan striker was indeed one of 20 presidential candidates in his home country having turned his hand to politics in recent years.
Famous former footballer George Weah elected President of his country.
The episode prompted officials from Mr. Weah's party and the party of Alexander Cummings, a former Coca-Cola executive, to lodge complaints with the elections commission. That year, he reached the run-off but lost to the current president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.More news: How to install MovieBox++ on iOS 11 devices without jailbreak
984 candidates are contesting for the 73 seats at stake in the national assembly.
The former AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Olympique de Marseille striker needs to achieve at least 50 percent of the votes to be declared the victor.
Liberia with an estimated population of 4.5 million has 2.18 million registered voters for the elections which were held in 2,080 polling centres nationwide. In one case, hundreds of people with registration cards spent the day demanding to vote in Bong County after poll workers there said their names were not on voter rolls.More news: Khloé Kardashian Just Hinted at the Kind of Mom She'll Be
Global observers in the West African nation said the vote went smoothly despite late starts in some counties. She led the country's recovery from a 14-year civil war and guided this West African country through the Ebola crisis that killed almost 5 000 people.
The election in the West African nation could see Liberia transfer power from one elected president to another for the first time in more than half a century. If there is a runoff election it will come two weeks after that announcement.
"All of these people are saying they want change and improvement, and that explains why nearly all of the candidates are presenting themselves as candidates for change", Fomunyoh said.More news: Tom Brady 'not worried' about shoulder injury; will play in Week 6
- U.S. flies strategic bombers over Korean peninsula
- Trump to announce Iran strategy tomorrow: White House
- Supreme Court dismisses 1 of 2 travel ban cases
- The Feud Between Trump and Corker Is Puzzling to Washington Insiders
- USA approves $15 billion worth THAAD missiles sale to Saudi Arabia
- Equifax says it's looking into another possible hack
- Palestinian Authority, Hamas Reach Reconciliation Deal After 10-Year Feud
- Overwatch's Halloween Event Is Now Live With New Seasonal Items
- Trump asks me for tweeting advice, says his ex-wife Ivana
- Court Rules in Favor of National Football League in Ezekiel Elliott Suspension