Three Australian skydivers died Friday after colliding with each other in the middle of their jumps, authorities said.
Vision captured shortly before the fatalities has emerged of other tourists successfully completing their jumps at the beach.
Our thoughts are with the families of the two men, thought to be in their thirties, and the one woman, in her fifties, who died in the accident.More news: Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys who don't stand for anthem won't play
It is believed her husband Alister, a former local councillor, and children had gifted the skydive as a 50th birthday present. The bodies of a tandem skydiving pair were found nearby a short time later.
A resident was also quoted as saying the bodies were found about 1.5km north of the usual landing site.
An eyewitness who saw the incident told the Cairns Post they watched horrified as the accident unfolded.More news: Court Rules in Favor of National Football League in Ezekiel Elliott Suspension
He said that it appeared as if the skydiver did not activate a backup parachute.
Skydive Australia said operations at Mission Beach had been suspended while investigations were underway.
In the tiny community of Mission Beach, Queensland, parachuting is a popular activity for tourists looking for an exciting way to enjoy the lovely scenery.More news: Oil Halts Gains Near $51 on Signs US Crude Stockpiles Expanded
'You could see one chute was tangled and it wasn't opening, ' the man who chose to go unnamed said. "We value the tourism industry and this is a bad blow to that industry - particularly at Mission Beach, where we rely so heavily on tourism".
- Honor 6C Pro unveiled with modest specs and sleek design
- "Defence data stolen from firm using 'admin' and 'guest" as credentials
- Tom Brady 'not worried' about shoulder injury; will play in Week 6
- How to install MovieBox++ on iOS 11 devices without jailbreak
- Supreme Court dismisses 1 of 2 travel ban cases
- Wells Fargo $1 billion accrual due to talks with US Justice Department
- Alibaba to double research and development spending
- Palestinian Authority, Hamas Reach Reconciliation Deal After 10-Year Feud
- Twitter Hilariously Reacts To LaVar Ball Pulling LaMelo Out Of School
- Flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th Arrives Safely