So, in response to #WomenBoycottTwitter, two hashtags have started making the rounds Friday, both aimed at lifting the voices of women, of color or not, that have been silenced for too long: #AmplifyWomen and #WOCAffirmation.More news: Oil Halts Gains Near $51 on Signs US Crude Stockpiles Expanded
McGowan has been one of the most public detractors of Weinstein since allegations of his sexual misconduct surfaced, encouraging her #ROSEARMY to join her in criticising people who enabled, covered up or defended the alleged abuse. Twitter has since told The Guardian the suspension was due to McGowan tweeting a private phone number, which is against Twitter's terms of service.
Twitter users lashed out in her defense, accusing the company of not equally enforcing the rules against those who use hate speech. McGowen urged men on the site to use their voices to "call on your brothers to be better". Quite a few Twitter users noticed the company seems to have an exceptionally arbitrary and unclear policy on suspending accounts. "They need to see we matter...." The tweet in question was deleted and her account was unblocked.More news: India's high court rules having sex with child brides is rape
At the time the truncated social platform insisted that "Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power".
Twitter also played a role in the recent controversy over ESPN reporter Jemele Hill, who was suspended from her job for violating ESPN's social media guidelines a second time with her tweets about National Football League protests.More news: The Feud Between Trump and Corker Is Puzzling to Washington Insiders
The company's official account also tweeted: "We stand with the fearless women and men who use Twitter to share their stories, and will work hard every day to improve our processes to protect those voices".
- World Cup Host Russia Halted by Team Melli in Friendly
- Tom Brady 'not worried' about shoulder injury; will play in Week 6
- Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys who don't stand for anthem won't play
- 3 people wounded in Kenya protest to reform electoral body
- Alibaba to double research and development spending
- Khloé Kardashian Just Hinted at the Kind of Mom She'll Be
- Court Rules in Favor of National Football League in Ezekiel Elliott Suspension
- Australian woman wrangles shark with bare hands out of pool, video shows
- Palestinian Authority, Hamas Reach Reconciliation Deal After 10-Year Feud
- "Defence data stolen from firm using 'admin' and 'guest" as credentials