Several netizens on Twitter wondered what Zuma has done for Imo State or Nigeria to merit such honour, while others noted that despite the role the country played to bring the apartheid regime in South Africa to an end, Nigerians were being killed in the country on a regular basis and Zuma had done nothing to check that.
Social media has reacted with mixed emotions following the news that the Nigerian government unveiled a statue of President Jacob Zuma on Sunday.
The South African president is also under fire for allegations of corruption and abuse of power in his ruling African National Congress (ANC).More news: US Supreme Court to review Microsoft email privacy case
Somewhere in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria, a fancy statue of President Jacob Zuma poses in elegance, despite widespread condemnation of the romantic gesture by the Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha, who appears to be quite star-struck by the South African President.
Okorocha's action is condemnable, said the Civil Society Network Against Corruption, a coalition of more than 150 anti-corruption groups in Nigeria.
Three days ago, the the South African Supreme Court of Appeal reinstated 783 corruption charges filed against Mr. Zuma before he became president.More news: Atlanta waives Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder
"Apart from allowing Mr. Zuma to address a group of selected secondary school students and other young people, Governor Rochas Okorocha directed a traditional ruler in Imo State to confer a chieftaincy title on him", Mr. Suraj said.
The honor to the former South African president was done in appreciation of his selfless service to mankind.
Mrs Jacob Zuma (1st left), and chairman Jacob Zuma foundation Mrs Dudu MYeni when the Jacob Zuma foundation and Rochas foundation college of Africa signed MoU in owerri on Saturday, October 14, 2017. "This is another reason why we have chosen to honour you", he said.More news: Mother of Eight Among Three Dead in Tragic Skydiving Accident
Some have questioned whether a statue should be erected honoring Zuma, who has had a controversial tenure as South Africa's president. "It's not the best PR exercise, if you ask me".
- Election Commission announces dates for Assembly elections in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh
- Asia Cup : India beat Pakistan 3-1
- We are in a difficult situation but …. - Everton boss Koema
- Ezekiel Elliott Eligible to Play Until Petition for Rehearing is Resolved
- Now You Can Order Food On Facebook
- Aaron Rodgers broken collarbone means the Steelers miss him again
- Millie Bobby Brown's Eleven returns in final 'Stranger Things' Season 2 trailer
- Brexit: UK and European Union 'move heaven and earth' to protect NI
- Oil platform explodes on Lake Pontchartrain near Kenner
- Collins says she's not running for governor, will stay in Senate