The BJP stepped into the row with party spokesperson G V L Narasimha Rao describing Muslim rule in India as "barbaric and a period of incomparable intolerance" while asserting that its members could hold any opinion they want on specific monuments.
Sangeet Som is a controversial BJP leader.
Som ji had no problem admitting that the BJP was also secretly working on wiping off all the symbols of the Mughal rulers, like Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Humayun's Mausoleum, Fatehpur Sikri and thousands of other structures across the country and "restore" what, in his opinion, stands for the "real Bharatvarsh".More news: Fani-Kayode Blasts Okorocha for Erecting Zuma's Statue in Owerri
According to Press Information Bureau's 2013-14 report, Taj Mahal topped the list of the highest earning places in India's tourism list and attracts millions of tourists every year.
Taj Mahal has been in BJP's crosshairs for a long time now and the UP government's decision to remove it from the first list seemed a deliberate move to gauge the public sentiment.
While addressing a gathering, Som said, "Many people were disappointed that the Taj Mahal was removed from the Uttar Pradesh tourism booklet".
The less we talk about the BJP leaders the better.More news: Atlanta waives Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder
"The creator of Taj Mahal (Shahjahan) imprisoned his father. Do you call it history when the one who built the Taj targeted many Hindus in Uttar Pradesh and Hindustan?"
To mark the half-yearly anniversary of Yogi Adityanath government, the Uttar Pradesh government released the book on tourism which includes Adityanath's Gorakhpur temple but has no mention of the Taj Mahal.
Som has earlier too been in news for making controversial statements.
Party president and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi on Monday said Red Fort in Delhi was also built by "Traitors" "Traitors also build Red Fort will MODI stop hoisting Tiranga?"More news: Brexit: UK and European Union 'move heaven and earth' to protect NI
Many Indians even took to social media to slam the BJP lawmaker. Hyderabad House was constructed by Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam, on a land offered by the British. "BJP is hatching conspiracy to divide Bengal, we will not bow down", Banerjee said.
- Election Commission announces dates for Assembly elections in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh
- More Than 15 States To Sue Over Trump Health Care Move
- How The Media Is Giving Kim Kardashian Body Dysmorphia
- Millie Bobby Brown's Eleven returns in final 'Stranger Things' Season 2 trailer
- Passengers describe panic, terror aboard Indonesia AirAsia flight
- Oil platform explodes on Lake Pontchartrain near Kenner
- Iraqi, Kurdish Troops In Tense Standoff As Deadline Nears
- Rival Palestinian Groups Hamas, Fatah Reach Deal Over Control Of Gaza
- Mobile Limits the Data Usage in Canada and Mexico to 5 GB
- US Supreme Court to review Microsoft email privacy case