The amount of the deal hasn't been disclosed, but according to TechCrunch, it's "less than $100 million and won't require any regulatory approval".
Lauding the takeover tbh wrote in a statement: "While the last decade of the Internet has been focused on open communication, the next milestone will be around meeting people's emotional needs...."More news: Iraqi, Kurdish Troops In Tense Standoff As Deadline Nears
The app lets people anonymously answer kind-hearted multiple-choice questions about friends who then receives the poll results as compliments.
Facebook has been seeking new avenues to reach flighty teenage users, who want to communicate in different ways and who may view the flagship Facebook app as more of a stodgy utility than a place to have fun.
The app, whose name stands for To Be Honest, will operate separately from Facebook, similar to how the social network handled its acquisition of photo-sharing app Instagram, Facebook said.More news: Mesut Ozil lacks ruthless streak of true Arsenal greats, says Troy Deeney
Since the app got officially launched in August, it captured more than 1 billion poll answers out of which majority was of teens and high school students. The only difference is that they have access to more resources because of Facebook.
TBH's sudden rise was enough to grab Facebook's attention (and money).
They add that this move is flawless not only to reach more people but also to accomplish their app's objective. "Most of all, we were compelled by the ways they could help us realize tbh's vision and bring it to more people".More news: Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are engaged and Instagram is in bits
While tbh will remain as a stand-alone app in the App Store, the cofounders will technically be Facebook employees. For any further need, you can take notes. TBH believes that it holds similar values to Facebook and is hopeful that the acquisition will help to bring its message to more people.
- What USC QB Jake Bentley did following Saturday's win has people talking
- Aaron Rodgers broken collarbone means the Steelers miss him again
- Asia Cup : India beat Pakistan 3-1
- Collins says she's not running for governor, will stay in Senate
- Mughal history will be rewritten: BJP MLA
- Now You Can Order Food On Facebook
- How the Kochs are using Mike Pence to shape Trump's White House
- US Supreme Court to review Microsoft email privacy case
- Brexit: UK and European Union 'move heaven and earth' to protect NI
- Passengers describe panic, terror aboard Indonesia AirAsia flight