Chicago Bulls forward Bobby Portis has a call setup with the National Basketball Association on Wednesday to discuss the altercation he got into with forward Nikola Mirotic on Tuesday, and he's expected to face a multi-game suspension.
Mirotic suffered multiple broken bones in his face as well as a concussion on Tuesday. K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reported that Mirotic may miss a few weeks over the incident.
Portis and Mirotic were involved in a "serious altercation" at practice on Tuesday that eventually sent the latter to the hospital. Most likely, surgery will be required to fix the damage, and Mirotic will be out indefinetely. But in this case, he made a mistake.More news: Ford recalls 1.3M F-Series pickups, including 2017 Super Duty
Paxson said that the Bulls got counsel from the league on how to handle the situation.
Portis will be allowed to train with the team during his suspension, but he will not be eligible to play again until the Bulls visit the Toronto Raptors on November 7.
Reporter Shams Charania described Portis' strike as "an alleged surprise punch"-in other words, a sucker punch".More news: More Than 15 States To Sue Over Trump Health Care Move
There's a lot of high expectations for Portis, the 22-year-old Little Rock, Ark. native, who averaged 6.8 points and 4.6 rebounds for the Bulls last season. He signed a two-year deal with $12.5 million guaranteed this season to stay in Chicago.
Portis, entering his third season in the NBA since being taken in the first round by Chicago in the 2015 NBA Draft, received an eight-game suspension from Chicago, which announced the decision on Wednesday afternoon.More news: Sri Lanka commits to Lahore T20I despite reluctance from players
- North Korea has warned that nuclear war could break out any moment
- Cher does ABBA: joins cast of "Mamma Mia!" sequel
- Dentist Talwars to visit Dasna jail every fortnight to check inmates
- Stock to Keep Your Eyes on: Time Warner Inc. (TWX)
- Carney and new MPC colleagues throw doubt on interest rate hikes
- Oil platform explodes on Lake Pontchartrain near Kenner
- Ask Kelly whether Obama called after his son was killed in action
- Lighthizer Slams Canada and Mexico for Refusing to Accept NAFTA Reforms
- Qualcomm declares Snapdragon 636 mobile podium
- How The Media Is Giving Kim Kardashian Body Dysmorphia