Martinez, 53, will be a first-time manager after spending time in various roles over the past 10 seasons.
According to the report, Martinez will be announced as the manager after the completion of the World Series.More news: Man trapped in gas station cooler stays overnight, drinks beer
The Associated Press reported that "a person with knowledge of the deal" told the AP that Martinez and the Nats agreed to a contract for three years plus an option.
Martinez played 16 seasons in the big leagues with the Cubs, Expos, White Sox, Devil Rays Giants, Reds, Rangers and Braves, with a.276/.341/.389 batting line.
Martinez has served as bench coach for Joe Maddon since 2008, with the Tampa Bay Rays and the Cubs. Mets hitting coach Kevin Long and former Red Sox manager John Farrell also interviewed for the Washington job. Exactly how much of Maddon has rubbed off on Martinez remains to be seen, but the Nationals' new manager does have a history of playoff success. Baker was let go despite posting seasons of 95 and 97 wins but failing to advance past the NL Division Series.More news: THOR: RAGNAROK Actor Cast as SHAZAM!
Martinez has been a candidate for the Nationals before, interviewing with the team in 2014 before the job ultimately went to then rookie manager Matt Williams.
But the Nationals did not struggle to negotiate with their manager this time, committing three years (and perhaps a fourth) to Martinez in a marked departure from their normal handling of managers. Since the Lerner family purchsed the club in 2006, no manager had been guaranteed more than two years, not even established and successful skippers like Baker and Davey Johnson. A formal announcement isn't likely to come until Monday at the earliest, possibly not until after the World Series ends.More news: These Spooky Space Sounds Compiled by NASA Will Make Your Skin Crawl
- Anthony Martial Once Again Comes Up Big Off The Bench
- Jeff Bezos' $13b day makes him world's richest man, overtaking Bill Gates
- Amazon's stock is skyrocketing after a blockbuster post-Whole Foods earnings
- Billionaire wealth returns to growth
- Eric Bolling's son, CU student, died of accidental overdose: Coroner
- New Leak Hints At Nov. 16 India Launch For The OnePlus 5T
- Patriots hold on to beat Chargers, 21-13
- High wind warning for NYC through Monday morning
- Kashmir observes shutdown on Oct 27; restrictions in Srinagar parts
- Pregnant Khloe Kardashian Show 1st Time Baby Bump in NYC