Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and internationally acclaimed sand sculptor Sudarshan Patnaik paid rich tributes to "Iron Man" of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his 142nd birth anniversary today. However, the youth of India respects him and his contribution towards the building of our nation. It also includes a coin issued for Sardar Patel in 1996.
"There have been attempts to run down Patel, to ensure that the contribution of Patel is forgotten".
A large number of people, including sports personalities like Sardar Singh, Deepa Karmakar, Suresh Raina and Karnam Malleswari participated in the Run. Near the India Gate C-Hexagon-Shah Jahan Road radial, the 1.5km run came to an end.More news: These Spooky Space Sounds Compiled by NASA Will Make Your Skin Crawl
"We salute Sardar Patel on his Jayanti".
Earlier, President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tributes to Sardar Patel at Patel Chowk in the national capital this morning and offered floral tributes at his statue.
Mr Modi also appealed to the people to resolve to make New India when the country will celebrate its 75th anniversary of Independence in 2022. "His momentous service and monumental contribution to India can never be forgotten", Modi said in a tweet.More news: Claude Puel Unable To Decipher Carragher's Scouse Accent On Sky Sports
"India's progress in various fields and its march as one of the major economies should not be allowed to be obstructed by anybody and every Indian should strive to uphold and strengthen country's unity and integrity", he said. The nation is on Tuesday observing Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) on birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Several programmes are being organised across the country on this occasion.
In West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee remembered Patels contribution to the nation amid controversy over the her government asking state institutes of higher education to ignore the Centres directive of organising events to remember the Iron Man.More news: Álvaro Morata denies he is unsettled as Chelsea prepare to face Roma
- Judge accidentally reveals victor of hot United Kingdom baking program
- I-66 driver killed when pedestrian jumped from overpass
- WWE Releases One Of Its Most Underrated Wrestlers In Emma
- High wind warning for NYC through Monday morning
- Woods golf comeback confirmed for Bahamas
- Court partly blocks Trump ban on transgender troops in U.S. military
- Jeff Bezos' $13b day makes him world's richest man, overtaking Bill Gates
- Patriots hold on to beat Chargers, 21-13
- Most of NFL's Houston Texans kneel during anthem after owner's 'inmates' remark
- New 'Spider-Man' PlayStation 4 Trailer Digs into the Game's Story