Trump fans slammed the suspension as Twitter's attempt to silence the President's unfiltered methods of communicating with the public.
"My Twitter account was off by 11 minutes a rebellious employee".
Trump's Twitter account has 41.7 million followers, making him one of the influential characters on the USA social network.
According to another former Twitter employee, additional controls were put on Trump's account after the election.More news: Jay Ajayi traded from Dolphins to Eagles, giving Philadelphia RB depth
After the snafu, Twitter announced it's launching an internal review, but Lawson says addressing a breach involving a former employee could prove hard for the company.
"When users began to see the message "@realdDonaldTrump does not exist" on the social media platform, they started suggesting that the employee responsible be commemorated with statues, or become a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize. Later that night, Twitter said the disappearance was the work of one rogue employee.
Twitter released a statement after the incident was discovered.More news: Facebook Reports $10.3 Billion in Revenues
The company has said that an employee with the ability to suspend accounts deleted it from the site on his or her last day at company. This goes to show that Twitter and other social media accounts count as privileged accounts and should be treated just as if they are part of a company's most valuable IT assets. "I'm not sure anyone at Twitter can tweet from someone else's account". "You could construe the President being unable to access his account as damage under the statute", said Ekeland. "The nature of social media, particularly Twitter, is that there are so many feeds and so many sources that one single tweet, even one from the President of the United States, can always be balanced by other inputs".
Twitter shares were up 1.9 percent in afternoon trading.
Ekeland says the person responsible for disabling President Trump's Twitter account for 11 minutes may have violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
While it was unclear what the former employee's motive was, Mr Trump's Twitter account regularly generates controversy and offends some people as the President lashes out at his perceived enemies. "I guess the word must finally be getting out-and having an impact", Trump tweeted on Friday.More news: NY police say they're building a rape case against Harvey Weinstein
He has used Twitter to attack opponents and promote his policies, both during the 2016 presidential campaign and since taking office in January.
- Spanish judge orders custody for Catalan leaders pending trial
- Tesla is getting clobbered after disappointing results (TSLA)
- Broadcom is reportedly exploring a massive acquisition of $80 billion Qualcomm
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are back together? Here's what sources claim
- Young returns to England squad for Germany and Brazil games
- Liverpool beats Maribor 3-0, tops Champions League group
- Shilpa Shinde and Vikas Gupta get into an intense fight again
- Buy Tesla Inc (TSLA) Regardless Of Earnings Results
- This guy who is named George Papadopoulos is having a hectic day
- Jimmy Kimmel, Channing Tatum Play Halloween-Candy Prank on Their Kids