Chennai: Rain continued to come down in sheets till late Friday night in Chennai, taking the death toll from the northeast monsoon to 12 so far, and the city's total rainfall to close to three-fourths of the average for a season that has just got started.
But Chennai residents heaved a sigh of relief on Friday morning as the rain clouds gave way to a bright sun. For the October 1 to November 4 period, 19 cm of rainfall was recorded in Tamil Nadu against the normal of 21 cm, director, Area Cyclone Warning Centre, S Balachandran said.
Chennai received 6 centimetres of rains in Meenambakkam, 7 centimetres in Nungambakkam, 9 centimetres in Nagapattinam and 10 centimetres in Ponneri, MeT department said.More news: Trump says recalls little about meeting where aide mentioned Russian Federation
At least eight people have been killed while thousands have taken refuge in relief camps due to the flooding. Several places in the city were submerged and traffic was thrown out of gear.
Clogged sewer lines, coupled with the heavy rain, meant water entered several houses in south Chennai.
Continuous rainfall has disrupted lives of people, with authorities being forced to shut schools and colleges. The state-level National Talent Search Exam, which was scheduled for Saturday, has been shifted to November 18. It also said that Talaignayiru and Thirutharapoondi in Nagapattinam district recorded 27 centimetres and 24 centimetres of rainfall respectively. In areas like Nanmangalam and Pallikaranai, volunteers distributed food packets and water. There will be intermittent spells of rain or thundershowers with heavy spells at times.More news: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are back together? Here's what sources claim
Meanwhile, a Met department bulletin said the low pressure area over the southwest Bay of Bengal and the adjoining coastal regions of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu continue to persist.
Heavy rains are likely at some places in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.More news: Modi a 'jumla babu', says Surjewala
- Tesla is getting clobbered after disappointing results (TSLA)
- Young returns to England squad for Germany and Brazil games
- Tory MP Says He "Feels Sorry" For Sir Michael Fallon
- Lisa Bonet And Jason Momoa Are Officially Married!
- Trump slams Bergdahl decision: 'Complete and total disgrace'
- Almost 40 Million Kidde Fire Extinguishers Recalled
- Tyrese Has Meltdown Over Daughter, Threaten To Leave Fast & Furious
- Broadcom is reportedly exploring a massive acquisition of $80 billion Qualcomm
- Donna Brazile Reportedly Pondered Replacing Clinton With Biden in 2016
- NY police say they're building a rape case against Harvey Weinstein