Jericho early Sunday morning formally challenged New Japan Pro-Wrestling United States champion Kenny Omega, considered by many to be the best wrestler in the world, to a match at Wrestle Kingdom 12 - NJPW's equivalent of WWE's WrestleMania - on January 4, 2018, in what is expected to be a non-title match.
Jericho issued the challenge Sunday at NJPW's Power Struggle pay-per-view event through a video where the wrestling icon called out Omega who is now NJPW's United States Champion. Despite weeks of trolling each other on Twitter, seeing Jericho appear on NJPW programming was unexpected and shocking to say the least.More news: Discussing Ezekiel Elliott's Latest Status With "Mighty" — Interview
The match has been accepted by Omega and is official!
Now, there may even be a "bit" of tension between Jericho and WWE over recent events. They're billing the bout as "Alpha vs. Omega". Pro wrestling can only get so popular. Jericho has continued to be involved with WWE and one would assume he is under contract there, but if he is he obviously has a stipulation that makes his deal non-exclusive.More news: Trump campaign aide Cater Page met Russian officials in 2016
That or WWE has approved this match, which seems unlikely with NJPW's well publicized goals of going global in the next couple of years.
Furthermore, Chris Jericho talked about his upcoming cruise on Killing the Town recently and it may shed some light on why he's working with New Japan/Ring of Honor.More news: Spain issue arrest warrant for Catalan leader
And given that he's now heading back to Japan to test his ability between the ropes once more, what better time could there be to have a nice nostalgic look at some of his greatest non-WWE efforts?
- Australia turns down NZ offer to take asylum seekers
- Lebanese prime minister quits over death plot
- Bank of England deputy governor suggests further interest rate hikes are likely
- Apple supplier Qualcomm confirms takeover approach by rival Broadcom
- Wizards vs. Raptors NBA Predictions Against the Spread 11/5/17
- Rain continues to lash different parts of Tamil Nadu
- How captain Virat Kohli prepped for 29th happy birthday with brilliant fifty
- Jack Wilshere: 'Arsenal must improve for Manchester City showdown'
- Ryan Fitzpatrick to start Week 10 for Buccaneers
- Narendra Modi has hurt HP's tourism industry & farmers: Rahul Gandhi