Business Insider says that the legal limit for lead in a children's toy is 100 parts per million. For the "Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Brass", the center circle tested for 33,000 ppm of lead, and the arm tested for 22,000 ppm of lead.
But, this particular fidget spinner, isn't technically a toy. No children should but the spinners or small pieces in their mouths and should play with them away from their faces, the CPSC said.More news: Second of five rail strikes taking place today as pay dispute continues
"The toxic fidget spinners are still available both in toy aisles at Target stores and on its website", the organization said.
Henderson said the two fidget spinners referred to in the lab tests contained clear marking on their packaging saying they were appropriate for customers over the age of 14.
Lead poisoning is most unsafe for young children.
Fidget spinners are supposed to be calming and fun, especially for students struggling to focus.More news: Kevin Spacey cut from CBS 'Carol Burnett Show' anniversary special
Further, Target spokeperson Lee Henderson leans on the CPSC's classification of fidget spinners as "general use products" rather than "toys". Despite the loopholes, the research group sent their lead finding to Target and the company is still not pulling the spinners from their shelves.
CoPIRG says lead exposure is particularly damaging for young children because of its impact on development.
This does not bode well for the not-so-rare fidget spinner, which has already been labeled with choking-hazard warnings by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). "We can't sit idly by while children play with these toxic toys - and yes, these are toys".
A statement from a senior communications manager for Target, Jenna Reck, said this, "Target is committed to providing high quality and safe products to our guests, and we closely review all product safety claims that are brought to our attention". Excess levels of lead can lead to hyperactivity, lack of appetite, behavior problems, and learning disabilities.More news: Lamborghini Unveils All-Electric Terzo Millennio Concept Car
- Intel and AMD are forming an unholy laptop chip alliance
- Rand Paul Attacker Just Released a Statement Addressing His Motive in Assault
- Trump administration ends immigration program protecting Central Americans from deportation
- Jay-Z Says Meek Mill's Prison Sentence is 'Unjust and Heavy Handed'
- Parliament emergency sparks evacuation as police probe 'three white powder packages'
- Chris Jericho vs. Kenny Omega Set For "Wrestle Kingdom" 12
- Trump once trashed China. Now, they're friends
- Mike Evans Suspended For Week 10
- Facebook wants you to upload nude photos to combat 'revenge porn'
- Apple supplier Qualcomm confirms takeover approach by rival Broadcom