Also planned: new Marvel, Pixar Monster and High School Musical series, he said. The House of Mouse will also develop an original live-action Star Wars TV series for its direct-to-consumer SVOD service. Star Wars: The Last Jedi is due out in theaters on December 15.
A similar ESPN streaming product will launch spring 2018, Iger said, fueled by Disney's $3.75 billion acquisition of the BAMtech digital platform from Major League Baseball.
Thanks to the company's talkative CEO, we have a good idea about when it will launch, how much it will cost, and what types of shows and films it might stream.More news: Twins' Buxton, Dozier win Gold Gloves
Disney's cable networks remained largely flat, but the broadcasting segment saw its revenues fall 11 per cent and its operating income fall 15 per cent year over year.
Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed the news during an investor call, saying the new series will be exclusively shown on Disney's streaming service, which is set to debut in 2019.
Other assets of Fox that would fall under Disney's influence if a merger is successful include the FX Channel, NatGeo Channel and Sky Television - Europe's biggest media company - in addition to Fox's film studio.
The company's overall Q4 revenue slid 3% to US$12.8 billion versus the same quarter a year ago. "It'll have a lot of high-quality content because of the brands and the franchises that will be on it that we've talked about".More news: To Manmohan Singh's Jibe From Gujarat, Arun Jaitley's Stinging Takedown
Profits from the A&E cable networks also dropped and losses at streaming service Hulu grew.
News emerged this week that Disney had held talks about buying the entertainment wing of USA media rival 21 Century Fox.
Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS) shares nudged higher after hours despite the media and film giant posting fourth quarter numbers that missed expectations. Performance improved at Disneyland in California, Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort, the company said, as well at its cruise ships and vacation club. Iger declined to comment on the circulating rumors during the company's earnings call.More news: Facebook wants you to upload nude photos to combat 'revenge porn'
- Russian Federation to amend law to classify media as 'foreign agents'
- Three Chinese students injured in French vehicle attack
- Trump once trashed China. Now, they're friends
- Kevin Spacey Being Removed From Upcoming Film
- The best and worst uses of Twitter's new 280-character limit
- Fidget Spinners causing safety concerns again, lead found
- Trump bodyguard reportedly testifies Russian official offered Trump women in Moscow
- Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker's costume unveiled
- Florida State University Suspends Fraternities and Sororities Indefinitely After Student Death
- Coutinho has Barca ambition - Suarez