A civil attorney, James R. Ray III, who had represented the mother for a short span of time, testified that he had demanded $25 million from Maraj after he was arrested in 2015 to avoid a potential lawsuit. The Mineola jury also convicted him of endangering the welfare of a child.
Prosecutors alleged at trial that Maraj started abusing the victim when she was 11, and raped her repeatedly between April and November 2015 while her mother was working, Brosh says.
Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas told TMZ on Thursday, "We hope that today's verdict will help the family in the healing process". In court, expert witnesses testified that semen found on the girl's pajamas was a one-in-291 billion match with Maraj, according to the Daily News. The girl testified that Maraj treated her as his own daughter before he began raping her.
Defense attorney David Schwartz said in his summation that a lawyer for the girl's mother contacted Maraj's lawyer saying, 'if she was paid $25million, these charges could just go away'.More news: NASA is working with Uber on its flying taxi project
After a month-long trial, Nicki Minaj's brother has been found guilty of rape.
Minaj has not spoken on the verdict.
The 38-year-old, who has been out on bond, was immediately taken into custody and held without bail. Her brother, a witness, testified that Maraj threatened to have him removed from his family if he spoke about the abuse.
"The amount of evidence that we had that wasn't allowed in this case is unbelievable", the Garden City lawyer added. I've never seen anything like it. The prosecutor told the jurors it would be up to them to determine whether the testimony of the two children was credible.More news: Russian Federation to amend law to classify media as 'foreign agents'
"She was never involved as far as what we did", he testified. Additionally, the defense said it might have been contaminated with different laundry.
She said Maraj's wife told her: "It's gonna take lots of money to get out of this one".
James R. Ray III, the previous defence attorney in the case, was sacked for demanding $25 million from Maraj following his arrest to settle a potential lawsuit. He'll be sentenced on December 14.More news: Here's How to Fix That Weird iPhone Glitch
- Sensex, Nifty End Modestly Higher Ahead Of IIP Data
- Second of five rail strikes taking place today as pay dispute continues
- Waymo Testing Driverless Ride-Hailing Service on Public Roads
- Jay-Z Says Meek Mill's Prison Sentence is 'Unjust and Heavy Handed'
- Kevin Spacey cut from CBS 'Carol Burnett Show' anniversary special
- US Bans Most Solo Travel to Cuba, Imposes Tighter Sanctions
- 23rd GST Council Meeting begins in Guwahati
- Three Chinese students injured in French vehicle attack
- Skyview High School thanks local veterans with a special assembly
- Woman claims Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter with her; she was 14