He straight away rammed his speeding boat into the silt and capsized the vehicle where few members fell outside and several got stuck under the boat and the silt, thus rendering life jackets useless.
The ill-fated boat was being operated by a private company and was said to be on a trial run.
Last week, at least nine people, including five children, drowned in two incidents in Vaishali and Samastipur districts of Bihar today, police had said.More news: Tennessee finally acknowledges the inevitable, firing football coach Butch Jones
Tragedy struck after a boat carrying 38 people capsized at Ferry Ghat in Ibrahimpatnam area of the city on Sunday evening.
Most of the passengers were said to be members of the Ongole Walkers Club in Prakasam district while some were from Nellore who were on a visit to Vijayawada.
Rajappa also announced an ex gratia of Rs 8 lakh to each of the families of the deceased.More news: Portia de Rossi claims Steven Seagal 'unzipped his leather pants' during audition
"Rescue operations are on and they will continue until all have been traced", a local police officer told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Disaster at dusk: Rescue operations under progress at the Pavithra Sangamam in Vijayawada on Sunday.
Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu, the Chief Minister, Opposition leader Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy and film actor and Jana Sena party president Pawan Kalyan were among who expressed their shock and grief over the incident.More news: A self-driving shuttle launched in Las Vegas - it didn't go well
- Online travel review site TripAdvisor confirms willingness to publish rape report
- Korea joint exercise in Sea of Japan gets underway
- Ellen Says She Or Oprah Will Be Biden's Running Mate In 2020
- To Manmohan Singh's Jibe From Gujarat, Arun Jaitley's Stinging Takedown
- Nicki Minaj's brother sentenced to prison for child rape
- Here's the full specs of the OnePlus 5T
- Twitter doesn't even know what "verification" means anymore
- Tunisia book place in Russian Federation 2018
- Nintendo Switch is getting its first video streaming app with Hulu
- Saudi-led strikes hit defence ministry in Yemen capital