And Jews were targeted in more than half the 1,538 crimes that were motivated by religion - in the Bay Area, one of the most high-profile attacks was a swastika painted on Temple Sinai in Oakland on Rosh Hashanah, one of the holiest Jewish days of the year.
The remaining incidents were motivated by a gender identity, disability, or gender bias.
More than half of those against people were assault cases, while almost 45 percent were crimes of intimidation.More news: Trump nominates former pharma exec Alex Azar as health secretary
"There's a risky disconnect between the rising problem of hate crimes and the lack of credible data being reported", said ADL CEO Jonathan A. Greenblatt.
Six police departments reported a hate crime in 2016, including Atlanta, Conyers, the University of Georgia, along with Cobb, Fulton and Gwinnett County police. In Maryland, such crimes declined from 43 in 2015 to 37 in 2016. The majority of victims were targeted due to their race or ethnicity, the report says, with crimes against African-Americans by far the largest share in that category. Nearly two-thirds of the 1,067 incidents targeted gay men.
However, anti-white and anti-Hispanic race-motivated crimes both increased in 2016. An additional 25 percent were black, while the remainder was comprised of other races or unknown races. In 2014, officials reported 22 hate crimes.More news: High lead levels found in fidget spinners
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has said it would be a top focus of his Justice Department.
In an interview with KTVU on Monday, Anti-Defamation League regional director Seth Brysk said that his organization noticed a "sharp increase" of hate during the presidential debates between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump kicked off a year ago. "They not only hurt one victim, but they also intimidate and isolate a victim's whole community and weaken the bonds of our society", said ADL chief Jonathan A. Greenblatt.
"There's a unsafe disconnect between the rising problem of hate crimes and the lack of credible data being reported", ADL National Director Jonathan Greenblatt said.More news: Kizer plays well, but Browns still lose to go 0-9
- Conor McGregor causes wild scene at Bellator 187
- Online travel review site TripAdvisor confirms willingness to publish rape report
- Microsoft reveals big discounts on its Surface Pro, Laptop, and Mixed Reality
- Saudi-led strikes hit defence ministry in Yemen capital
- The Millennium Falcon Is Hidden Near a Golf Course in Rural England
- At least 16 dead as overloaded boat capsizes in India
- Pixel 2 XL: New problem prevents Google phone screen from registering touches
- Korea joint exercise in Sea of Japan gets underway
- Tennessee finally acknowledges the inevitable, firing football coach Butch Jones
- President Duterte Claims He Stabbed Someone to Death at 16