The first is that the four-time world champions fail to qualify for Russian Federation 2018 and a curtain falls on the global careers of half the team, including Daniele De Rossi, Giorgio Chiellini, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci and the icon that is Gianluigi Buffon.
There are two possible narratives as Italy prepare for their World Cup date with destiny against Sweden in Milan on tonight.More news: Hope Solo Accuses Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter of Sexual Assault
"I'm not sorry for myself but all of Italian football", he said in an emotional post-match interview. "We've failed something which could have been big also on a social level and this is my only disappointment". There's regret at finishing like that, not because time passes.
"We have pride, strength and we're stubborn".
"We knew it was going to be a tough game and in the end, it was decided on an incident. Hugs to everyone, especially those I've shared this wonderful journey with".More news: North Korea denounces Trump's Asia tour as a 'warmonger's visit'
While Pirlo acknowledges that the team "seemed frustrated", he insists that he is quietly confident of them getting through, saying: "I like this Italy".
The Azzurri have failed to come up with some good results for a while, having lost 3-0 against Spain and drawn with Macedonia, and now risk to miss the Russia World Cup if they don't win the second leg of the playoffs against Sweden.
The 0-0 draw saw the continuation of an unusual quirk in World Cup qualifying. They made the Round of 16 in both 2006 and 2002, but since it's been a barren run for the Scandinavian nation who were unable to qualify for 2010 in South Africa or 2014 in Brazil.More news: At least 16 dead as overloaded boat capsizes in India
- Online travel review site TripAdvisor confirms willingness to publish rape report
- 23rd GST Council Meeting begins in Guwahati
- High lead levels found in fidget spinners
- Tunisia book place in Russian Federation 2018
- Maryland Democrats call on Rep. Harris to denounce Roy Moore
- President Duterte Claims He Stabbed Someone to Death at 16
- Nintendo Switch is getting its first video streaming app with Hulu
- Twitter doesn't even know what "verification" means anymore
- US Special Counsel Reportedly Probing Plot To Hand Over Turkish Cleric Gulen
- Sensex, Nifty End Modestly Higher Ahead Of IIP Data