"LeadingAge looks forward to ongoing collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services - including a new secretary - as we work, on behalf of our 6000+ members and partners, to ensure the overall health and wellbeing of older adults across the country", she said in an emailed statement to Home Health Care News.
Azar II, served as a deputy at the department under former President George W. Bush.
Azar worked for Eli Lilly from 2007 to 2017, serving as president of the company's USA division from 2011 to January of this year.More news: Tennessee finally acknowledges the inevitable, firing football coach Butch Jones
Mr. Trump made his announcement in a Twitter post while traveling in Asia. He has been critical of the Affordable Care Act and has supported converting Medicaid into block grants.
But committee chairman Sen.
Insurers and for-profit hospitals also reacted positively, while the Public Citizen advocacy group likened Azar's nomination to a "coup d'etat" by drug companies.
Trump has been a sharp critic of the industry. President Trump said after his election and before his inauguration that he wants the government to work to lower drug prices and that he wants the Medicare program to use its buying power to negotiate better prices. Prices are "out of control" and "have gone through the roof", Trump said.More news: West Indies to Play Twenty20 Series for Next Five Years in Pakistan
Professionally, Azar has another set of skills that may be valuable to the president. The council represents large health care companies. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin was a former Goldman Sachs executive and hedge fund manager.
Admirers say Azar's drug industry experience should be considered an asset, not a liability.
Azar's nomination, which must be confirmed by the Senate, comes a month and a half after Secretary Tom Price resigned amid a scandal over his use of private jets to conduct government business.
As secretary, Azar would have broad authority over many aspects of the program.More news: Korea joint exercise in Sea of Japan gets underway
- Ellen Says She Or Oprah Will Be Biden's Running Mate In 2020
- Italy Misses World Cup as Sweden Wins Playoff
- Week 11 college football scores, highlights from Saturday's games
- A self-driving shuttle launched in Las Vegas - it didn't go well
- Microsoft reveals big discounts on its Surface Pro, Laptop, and Mixed Reality
- Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's buyout bid
- Colin Kaepernick Named 'Citizen of the Year' By GQ Magazine
- Pixel 2 XL: New problem prevents Google phone screen from registering touches
- Saudi-led strikes hit defence ministry in Yemen capital
- Conor McGregor causes wild scene at Bellator 187