The technology didn't even fall for well-lit photographs or other faces that had similar features.
The researchers also don't expect such a technique to be used against the everyday iPhone X user.More news: West Indies to Play Twenty20 Series for Next Five Years in Pakistan
Although Apple says Face ID is more secure than Touch ID, this raises questions about the possibility of false positives not only happening with twins and siblings around the same age, but with people of different sexes and significantly different ages. The mask took approximately 150 Dollars to create. "We were able to trick Apple's AI...because we understood how their AI worked and how to bypass it".
"After almost 10 years of development, face recognition is not mature enough to guarantee security for computers and smartphones", the researchers warned.
That page says the probability of a random person unlocking another user's phone with their face was approximately 1-in-a-million, compared to 1-in-50,000 for the previously used fingerprint scanner. Bkav's method is yet to be confirmed by other security researchers. To further test it, Sherwani tried registering her face again a few hours later, to replicate the indoor, nighttime lighting conditions in which she first set up her iPhone X. The problem returned; Ammar unlocked the phone on his third try this time. "Exploitation is hard for normal users, but simple for professional ones".More news: Pixel 2 XL: New problem prevents Google phone screen from registering touches
It's the first reported case of researchers apparently being able to fool the Face ID software.
As you can see, the researcher pulls a piece of cloth from a mask facing an iPhone X and it unlocks instantly.
These users might want to take extra steps beyond Face ID if they want their device fully protected.More news: PM back for gay marriage results
Reviews of the phone widely noted issues with the feature, which uses infrared light to map users' faces and unlock the phone when the correct owner is looking at it. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate. If you are just a casual user, you need not worry.
- Championship 4 set following Round of 8 finale at Phoenix
- North Korean Soldier Is Shot While Defecting Across DMZ, South Says
- Hate Crimes Up In Minnesota In 2016
- Russia Used Video Game Screenshots to "Prove" the US Is Assisting ISIS
- Italy Misses World Cup as Sweden Wins Playoff
- At least 16 dead as overloaded boat capsizes in India
- North Korea denounces Trump's Asia tour as a 'warmonger's visit'
- Tennessee finally acknowledges the inevitable, firing football coach Butch Jones
- Sessions raises prospect of special counsel on GOP concerns
- Microsoft reveals big discounts on its Surface Pro, Laptop, and Mixed Reality