Coppolella rose through the ranks of the Braves' organization, eventually being named the team's general manager in 2015.
Manfred also announced 12 players the Braves signed illegally during the 2015-17 worldwide free-agent period have been released from their contracts, making them eligible to sign with any team. Former Braves Special Assistant Gordon Blakeley, the team's global scouting chief, was suspended from performing services for any team for one year. Maitan, a Venezuelan shortstop who drew comparisons to Miguel Cabrera and Miguel Sano when he was the top global amateur player available, is the No. 38 prospect in baseball, according to MLB Pipeline, and he was the Braves' No. 5 prospect.More news: Justice Department Sues To Block AT&T's Merger With Time Warner
Those three players are now free to sign with any team, along with fellow 2016 prospects Juan Contreras, Yefri del Rosario, Juan Carlos Negret, Yenci Peña, Livan Soto and Guillermo Zuniga and 2017 signees Brandol Mezquita, Angel Rojas and Antonio Sucre. They also lost a draft pick in 2018.
Former GM John Coppolella has been barred for life.More news: Woman Proudly Displays 'F**k Trump' On Her Truck, Pays The Price
Maitan and the other players will be allowed to sign with the remaining 29 Major League Baseball teams, who can use their leftover money from the current signing period or dip into next year's pool to sign them. Lo and behold, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred has since released an official statement while the Braves will pay a hefty price for such infractions. Additionally, they are ineligible to sign Robert Puason, a 14-year-old shortstop from the Dominican Republic, after they illegally agreed to a deal with him before he turned 16.
In the 2019-20 worldwide signing period, the Braves will be limited to spending $10,000 per player and will not be allowed to sign 14-year-old Robert Puason of the Dominican Republic, who the team had reached an agreement with, because he is too young. "We are instituting the changes necessary to prevent this from ever happning again and remain excited about the future of Braves baseball".More news: Rupee Cheers Moody's Upgrade With Mid-Day Surge
- FCC chairman reveals plan to kill net neutrality
- Trump Returns North Korea to List of State Sponsors of Terrorism
- Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 Detailed, New Co-Op Mode Incoming
- Zimbabwe opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai doubts ruling party ability
- 3 brothers find a South Plains forever family on National Adoption Day
- 'Needlessly attacked': Morrissey jumps to Kevin Spacey's defence
- Bomb blast kills worshippers in Adamawa mosque
- Ellen took on Donald Trump's anti-elephant policy & he suspended it
- Antonio Conte confirms that David Luiz has returned to the squad
- 2nd Woman Accuses Franken of Inappropriate Touching