Forty people, including seven firefighters, suffered injuries in two explosions and a fire at an upstate NY factory that manufactures nail polish, officials said.
Up to 35 people were being treated for injuries, including seven firefighters, a lot of them from the nearby city of Newburgh, Town Supervisor George Green said.More news: Uber strikes deal with Volvo
"Everybody's concerned", Green said.
Crews battled the blaze into Monday afternoon. He described it as a chemical fire.
In late September 2005, a worker who had been fired a year earlier after being found with child pornography on his company computer entered the factory and fatally shot the office manager and wounded co-owners Mario Maffei and Robert Roth. Lynne Morra, who works down the street at Durants Party Rentals, told Lohud.com she saw a slew of emergency vehicles rushing to the scene. "I went outside, the smoke seemed to die down, then all of a sudden it started up again".More news: Harrison Ford Spotted Helping A Woman Involved In A Car Crash
Fire crews from across Orange County and from neighboring counties responded, along with hazardous materials teams, Green said. None of the injuries appear to be life threatening, officials said.
The first explosion occurred at about 10:19am local time Monday at the Verla International cosmetics factory in New Windsor, 55 miles north of New York City.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo ordered a full state response. State health and environmental conservation specialists have been dispatched to the scene to monitor air and water quality in the area around the plant, which includes a manufacturing operation and warehouse.More news: Bills vs. Chargers: Top matchups to watch in NFL Week 11
- Arab FMs condemn Iran's intervention in Arab affairs, vowing United Nations approach
- Trump blasts Hillary Clinton for questioning legitimacy of election result
- Snoop Dogg Sounds Off on Donald Trump
- President Trump fires back at father of UCLA basketball player
- Trump Returns North Korea to List of State Sponsors of Terrorism
- Rupee Cheers Moody's Upgrade With Mid-Day Surge
- Selena Gomez looks completely unrecognizable thanks to a new edgy hairstyle
- 21-year-old medical student crowned Miss World 2017
- 2nd Woman Accuses Franken of Inappropriate Touching
- Lebanon's PM returns to Beirut after abrupt resignation while in Saudi Arabia