However, the publication turned down the President's claims, saying the award victor will only be declared on December 6.More news: Ohio State Rallies Past Michigan; JT Barrett Injured in Sideline Incident
The monthly magazine gave Trump that distinction past year and paired it with a scathing feature piece that appeared to lean more toward "worse" than "better".
Time did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
New York Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard tweeted: "Sports Illustrated called and said I was probably going to be Sportsman of the Year, but it was going to take a long photo shoot and interview. You should run Time!".More news: Three to four cups of coffee per day slash disease risk
Former editor Richard Stengel also hit out at Trump and said,"Hate to tell you but that PROBABLY means you're NOT Person of the Year".
Mr Trump's professed indifference to the award contrasts a little with previous years, where he has paid close attention to the judges' decision. Saudi Arabia's crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, led Trump by 16 percent.
However, the magazine was back in his good graces when he appeared on the cover in August 2015 and when he was named "Person of the Year" in 2016.More news: PS4 Console Black Friday 2017 Sales
But the real estate tycoon came up trumps a year ago, when the magazine gave him the title, describing him as the "President of the Divided States of America". "But I consider this a very, very great honor". In 2015, Trump got offended that the magazine chose German Chancellor Angela Merkel over him. Trump frequently brought up this gripe on the campaign trail.
- Local Christmas tree farms thriving despite national tree shortage
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho: 'Everyone to blame for Basel defeat'
- Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil demands huge signing bonus to join Barcelona
- Facebook will let you see what Russian-linked content you followed
- Oscar Pistorius: South African court doubles sentence
- Hiway 80 mission hosts pre-Thanksgiving meal
- Conte reveals Chelsea plane scare on trip home from Azerbaijan
- Different alcoholic drinks cause different moods
- Sisi vows to respond with 'brute force' against mosque attackers
- Apple to Launch iPhone SE 2 in Early 2018