While the Christmas season is officially kicked off by Black Friday, Gibbons said many stores are now starting the season earlier, displaying holiday and discounted items sometimes a month before Black Friday.
I have recommended both Mastercard (MA) and Visa (V) at various times over the a year ago and, as the charts below show, that has worked out pretty well so far.
The amount spent on United Kingdom online retail sites on Black Friday 2017 was up +11.7% to £1.39bn, according to data from IMRG.
Commerce marketing firm Criteo said that 40 % of Black Friday online purchases were made on mobile phones, up from 29 % from previous year. By 2016, the number of online retailers increased by 460 percent to more than 20,000 establishments, well above the growth rate of their competitors. Discount department stores saw a more notable increase at 64 percent - but at 10,435 establishments by 2016, they have been unable to keep pace with online retailers.More news: Burnley 0-1 Arsenal: Tough at Turf Moor
As of Cyber Monday morning, Shopify says the biggest purchases were: 1,320,744 apparel items, 847,872 accessories, 521,939 housewares and 197,545 shoes.
Amazon has soared higher along with the increasing number of consumers moving to the convenience of online shopping and free shipping - a trend that has accelerated as more of the things we buy (music, movies, books, etc.) are now sold in digital formats.
"There has been a significant amount of debate surrounding the shifting importance of brick-and-mortar retail, and the fact that shopper visits remained intact on Black Friday illustrates that physical retail is still highly relevant and, when done right, profitable", Field said in a statement. They had ended the regular session up 2.1%, boosted by comments from Chief Executive Jeff Gennette, who told CNBC that Macy's was better off this year than last, had robust online demand and was in a good place for holiday promotions.
"People want to start getting into the holiday spirit and enjoy the concept of shopping and the holidays", he said.More news: Android devices still track you when location services are turned off
Yet the popularity of "click and collect" means people are still eventually making it to the shops even if they did buy what they wanted online.
"I'd much rather do online", Boyd said.More news: Miss South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is crowned Ms Universe 2017
- European Union: British cities can't compete as 2023 Capital of Culture host
- BuzzFeed Launches Investigation Into Massage Envy
- Sindhu Eases Into Hong Kong Open Final
- Tennessee Lawmaker: Community Doesn't Approve of Greg Schiano
- Opinion Split on Merkel Remaining Chancellor in Case of New Election
- Why you'll need more green to purchase a Christmas tree this year
- Yet another train derailment in Uttar Pradesh leaves 3 dead, 9 injured
- Relatives mourn missing Argentine submarine crew
- Russian intercept of US Navy plane causes 'violent turbulence'
- Mississippi State QB Nick Fitzgerald out after gruesome ankle injury