That is all that stands between Wisconsin and a berth in the College Football Playoff. Rivals.com National Recruiting Analyst Adam Gorney lays out the situation and then receives takes from Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell and a local expert from the Rivals.com network of team sites.
Yes, the Crimson Tide, who lost by 12 points at Auburn last weekend, sit in prime position to move back into the Final Four if certain things happen this weekend.
Auburn and Georgia will collide in the SEC Championship Game, the first to be played in the new Mercedes-Benz Dome in Atlanta. The Big 12 and ACC were the only other conferences to record multiple championships with two apiece.More news: Padmavati row: Kapil Sharma condemns death threats against Deepika Padukone
Auburn is right behind the Tigers at number two.
"Losing to Auburn, as bitter as that is for Alabama fans, is not fatal when looking at the playoff picture".
J.T. Barrett has a chance to win another Silver Football, the award given by the Chicago Tribune to the Big Ten's best player. In the No. 6 slot, Alabama could be jumped by an Ohio State win and a Georgia win. Auburn (10-2), 3. Oklahoma (11-1), 4. The ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big Ten champions all have a chance to make one last impression. Those two losses hold Ohio State back against Alabama even though the Buckeyes would have two wins against top 10 teams while Alabama's best win will be against an LSU team hovering in the middle of the top 25 at best.
The College Football Playoff selection committee has issued 23 sets of rankings since its inception: seven in 2014, six in 2015, six in 2016 and four so far in 2017. Then again, if both Ohio State and TCU win, perhaps the Buckeyes and Crimson Tide will both make the playoff.
"If all goes as planned with Clemson and Oklahoma winning, you take the victor of the SEC over Alabama and then if Wisconsin wins you have to take a conference champion". A win over Stanford would give USC two wins over the Cardinal.More news: Black Friday Broke Background-Check Record
The national semifinals are set for January 1, at 4pm at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, and at 7:45 p.m.at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. Would that be enough to drop the defending national champions all the way out of the top four?
No. 2 Oklahoma (minus 7) vs. Maybe Notre Dame could move up and in if some of its previous opponents play well this weekend.
Peach Bowl: No. 14 UCF vs. Let's look at a more likely scenario.
"Very little separation in the committee's eyes between teams 5 through 8", Hocutt said.
Penn State appears to be safely in the New Year's Six at No. 9.More news: Updated BMW i8 and new i8 Roadster revealed
- Penn State Women's Volleyball Earns No. 1 Seed in NCAA Tournament
- Missing 3-year-old girl was abducted from her bed, police say
- Unlocked HTC U11 Update to Oreo Rolling Out Today
- Russian intercept of US Navy plane causes 'violent turbulence'
- Melania Trump unprepared for first lady, never thought Donald would win
- Why you'll need more green to purchase a Christmas tree this year
- Miss South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is crowned Ms Universe 2017
- Rep. John Conyers steps down as ranking member of House Judiciary Committee
- Microsoft Reveals Multibillion-Dollar Upgrade Plan For Redmond Campus
- Consumers and retailers win big over Thanksgiving holiday | National Retail Federation