But with temperatures across South Australia and Victoria hitting the mid-30s, and output from the state's wind farms low, the battery was called upon early to help meet Thursday afternoon's peak demand.
The size of the battery is similar to the American football field.
The world's biggest battery was officially released in Australia on Friday. The huge battery was delivered a few weeks ago, and Elon Musk made a promise to deliver it within "100 days or it's free". This battery is the Powerpack system that can deliver electricity to more than 30,000 homes.More news: Tiger Woods briefly takes lead, in contention at Hero World Challenge
"This means that, for the first time, clean and affordable wind energy can be dispatched to the grid 24 hours a day, seven days a week, whether the wind is blowing or not, improving system reliability", a statement from South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill's office stated. Kathpal, who is also chairman of the U.S. Energy Storage Association, has said that investing so heavily in energy storage is an important piece of Australia's continued commitment to renewable energy.
Tesla's massive 100MW lithium-ion battery, the largest of its kind in the world and a project that won Elon Musk a $50 million bet, has gone live today in South Australia.
South Australia suffered a severe blackout a year ago that left 1.7 million people without electricity, prompting Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull to lash out at state regulations that encouraged what he believed to be a too heavy a reliance on renewable energy: the Australian Energy Market Operator found that the blackout was caused by too sensitive protection mechanisms at some windfarms in South Australia.More news: Illegal Alien Who Shot Kate Steinle Found Not Guilty Of Murder
"Having a dispatchable supply of renewable energy also means that Neoen now has the opportunity to sign competitive long term contracts with medium-sized business directly".
Meanwhile, opponents of the South Australia's new pro-renewable energy solution argue that the battery is a "Hollywood Solution" in a country that still relies on fossil fuels, mainly coal, for two-thirds of its electricity.More news: Nigeria draw Argentina for 5th time
- Free flu vaccine clinics to open in Springfield
- Ed Sheeran's upcoming track to feature duet with Beyoncé
- Gunmen attack Peshawar's University of Agriculture
- Ex-St. John's Walk-on Howell Donaldson III Arrested on Multiple Murder Charges
- Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU to become head coach at Texas A&M
- Hurricanes drop out of top 4 in College Football Playoff poll
- Mississippi State to name Penn State OC Joe Moorhead head coach
- Everton keen for Sam Allardyce talks as relegation threat grows
- Snapchat introduces a redesigned app that separates your friends from brands
- Cyclonic storm to hit Lakshadweep and southern Kerala, TN coast