While waiting on the Dodgers to either aggressively join the sweepstakes or bow out, Stanton could refuse to waive his no-trade powers until later in the offseason or even next season, but he'd risk the possibility of teams in pursuit adding other players and pulling their offers from the table.
The Marlins have agreed to general framework of Stanton trades with the Giants and Cardinals, but neither deal can be completed as the Marlins wait to see if Stanton will accept either proposal, according to a Sunday afternoon report from MLB.com's Jon Morosi.More news: Shohei Ohtani meeting with Major League Baseball teams next week
A deal is not expected to happen today, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.
A trade framework was a logical precondition for the Marlins to grant the Giants and Cardinals permission to speak with Stanton.More news: Coalition with Merkel not automatic, all options open: Germany's SPD
Giancarlo Stanton #27 of the Miami Marlins during the game between the Miami Marlins and the San Francisco Giants at Marlins Park on August 15, 2017 in Miami, Florida. Second baseman Joe Panik has also been mentioned.
It's unclear what Miami would target in a trade with the Cardinals, and the deal may prove to be a nonstarter. Flaherty is rated as St. Louis' No. 3 prospect, and Alcantara is ninth.More news: Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) Files A Countersuit Against QUALCOMM, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM)
But for luxury tax reasons, the Dodgers are unable to dive completely into trade talks with the Marlins this winter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. Approve a deal the Dodgers liked - for the objective of offloading Stanton's remaining $295 million contract (or as much of it as a team will accept) - or keep Stanton (and his mega contract) on the books.
- Prince George asks Santa for police auto on dad's Finland trip
- Gunmen attack Peshawar's University of Agriculture
- Manchester United Blitz Arsenal With Two Quick-Fire Goals
- First (and last) supermoon of 2017 is coming
- Yanks choose Boone as next manager
- Illegal Alien Who Shot Kate Steinle Found Not Guilty Of Murder
- NCAA smacks Ole Miss with additional postseason ban, more scholarship cuts
- Tennessee's search now turns toward Kevin Sumlin
- Nathan Redmond: Pep Guardiola was complimentary during passionate, intense chat
- Batman Ninja Anime Trailer Revealed